Close Menu
thewitness.com.au
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

Woman feared dead after being hit in multi-car crash at Logan, Pacific Motorway shut

May 18, 2026

Indiana Fever star Aliyah Boston misses first WNBA game with leg injury

May 18, 2026

US president drops lawsuit against IRS in return for $2.5b ‘slush fund’

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
thewitness.com.au
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
thewitness.com.au
Home»Latest»Politis opens up on Radley’s Blues redemption
Latest

Politis opens up on Radley’s Blues redemption

info@thewitness.com.auBy info@thewitness.com.auMay 18, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
Politis opens up on Radley’s Blues redemption
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Threads Bluesky Copy Link


You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

Roosters chairman Nick Politis has spoken of the decision to allow Victor Radley to return early from a 10-game ban that opened the door for a shock State of Origin debut, declaring: “He deserved to come back. He had paid enough penalty.”

Radley was one of seven debutants named in the NSW side for Origin I by coach Laurie Daley on Monday, alongside Addin Fonua-Blake, Tolutau Koula, Blayke Brailey, Ethan Strange, Casey McLean and Dylan Lucas. However, Radley’s selection was the most noteworthy.

Victor Radley is set to make his NSW debut in the Origin series opener.Sitthixay Ditthavong

The forward’s call-up was only made possible when the Roosters board allowed him to make an early return to the NRL from the club-imposed suspension after Radley was implicated in a police probe that led to former teammate Brandon Smith facing a drug supply charge. No criminal charges were ever laid against Radley and Smith is fighting his charges.

Politis wanted to tear up the England international’s contract when he was dragged into the investigation by Queensland Police following the publication of text messages sent from his phone to Smith allegedly seeking to procure drugs.

While there was never any suggestion that Radley obtained or took illegal drugs, he was a whisker away from the sack. Politis had previously declared that the club had a zero-tolerance policy on drugs and initially considered ripping up Radley’s contract.

Following overtures from coach Trent Robinson and director of football Mitchell Aubusson, the Roosters opted not to cut the premiership-winning forward adrift – but not before imposing the biggest sanction in the club’s history. Radley was banned for 10 games without pay and donate $30,000 to St Vincent’s Hospital, leaving him out of pocket to the tune of a six-figure sum.

Had the suspension covered NRL matches only, Radley would effectively have been rubbed out of State of Origin contention. Instead, the Roosters counted three Ashes Tests and two pre-season trials in the ban, allowing Radley to return in round six of this year. That gave the 28-year-old enough time to prove to Daley he was worthy of a Blues debut.

Politis said he was “very pleased” with Radley’s selection and outlined the reasons behind the decision that made it possible.

“I’m very happy for him, it’s fantastic for him to be there for the first time,” Politis told this masthead. “That [decision] probably helped him. We didn’t specifically bring him back for [Origin], but it obviously helps him.

“He deserved to come back. He had paid enough penalty … He paid dearly financially, well over $100,000 in fines and loss of pay. He paid $30,000 to charity at St Vincent’s, he missed out on going to England and about 10,000 quid. He paid dearly more than anybody else.

Brandon Smith, Victor Radley and an alleged text exchange between the pair.Fairfax Media

“That’s why we decided he had served enough to come back early, which probably helped him to achieve his lifetime goal.”

Asked if it was the biggest fine in the club’s history, Politis replied: “You could virtually say in the NRL.”

Radley said he was thankful to Politis and the board for allowing him to return in time to push his Origin case.

“Yeah, really grateful,” Radley said. “I think they’ve seen how hard I worked and obviously missing the Ashes series, everyone understood that I paid my penance there. I had about a four-month pre-season. I don’t think it had anything to do with State of Origin other than just me and my mental wellbeing.”

Roosters star Victor Radley will get a chance to perform at Origin level.Getty Images

Asked if he had ever feared he would be sacked by the Roosters, Radley replied: “That all unfolded as it did.

“Since I dealt with that, I put all of that behind me. I felt the love from everyone at the club, especially the coach. Robbo never [left me with] a worry whatsoever about being punted or whatever.”

Radley is one of the first beneficiaries of the new eligibility rules, alongside Fonua-Blake and McLean, that allow him to play Origin after representing a top-tier Test nation other than Australia.

Asked for his favourite memories of Origin, the firebrand forward replied: “Paul Gallen punching Nate Myles’ head, that era.”

Curtis Strange makes the NSW bench as a replacement half.Sitthixay Ditthavong

Other debutants will also have important roles to play. Koula has been in outstanding form for Manly in the centres, but has been picked on the wing.

“Very exciting,” Koula said. “It’s a great mix of youth and experience and it’s great to see a few other new faces with me. I’m very keen to get out there.”

Related Article

NSW Blues coach Laurie Daley announcing his team for the first State of Origin match.

Canberra playmaker Strange, a potential game-breaker from the bench, was still coming to terms with his selection.

“It’s really cool, everyone is buzzing around the group, from the short time we’ve been here,” Strange said. “We’re very excited, fired up and ready to go.”

Another newbie, Dylan Lucas, has been named as 20th man and will only see game time if there are injuries. However, the Newcastle back-rower was thrilled to be a step closer to fulfilling his Origin dream.

“It’s a crazy feeling, I’m not sure if it’s properly sunk in yet,” Lucas said. “I’m super grateful to be here and super-excited.”

News, results and expert analysis from the weekend of sport sent every Monday. Sign up for our Sport newsletter.

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

Tom DecentTom Decent is the chief sports writer for The Sydney Morning Herald.Connect via X or email.

From our partners

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest Bluesky Threads Tumblr Telegram Email
info@thewitness.com.au
  • Website

Related Posts

Woman feared dead after being hit in multi-car crash at Logan, Pacific Motorway shut

May 18, 2026

Indiana Fever star Aliyah Boston misses first WNBA game with leg injury

May 18, 2026

US president drops lawsuit against IRS in return for $2.5b ‘slush fund’

May 18, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 2025218 Views

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 2025152 Views

Wife of Australian Community Media boss responds to husband’s assault charges

March 15, 2026113 Views
Don't Miss

Woman feared dead after being hit in multi-car crash at Logan, Pacific Motorway shut

By info@thewitness.com.auMay 18, 2026

Updated May 19, 2026 — 5:50am,first published 6:44pmSaveYou have reached your maximum number of saved…

Indiana Fever star Aliyah Boston misses first WNBA game with leg injury

May 18, 2026

US president drops lawsuit against IRS in return for $2.5b ‘slush fund’

May 18, 2026

National Anti-Corruption Commission report lifts lid on Australian Border Force scandal

May 18, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
  • WhatsApp
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
Top Trending
Demo
Most Popular

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 2025218 Views

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 2025152 Views

Wife of Australian Community Media boss responds to husband’s assault charges

March 15, 2026113 Views
Our Picks

Woman feared dead after being hit in multi-car crash at Logan, Pacific Motorway shut

May 18, 2026

Indiana Fever star Aliyah Boston misses first WNBA game with leg injury

May 18, 2026

US president drops lawsuit against IRS in return for $2.5b ‘slush fund’

May 18, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
© 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.