Close Menu
thewitness.com.au
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

Fans have slammed Eddie Nketia’s 200m performance days after he broke an Australian record

May 20, 2026

Indoor sports facility proposed for site beneath Story Bridge in Kangaroo Point

May 20, 2026

Kylie Minogue spills major beans on Madonna ‘Confessions II’ album

May 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
thewitness.com.au
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
thewitness.com.au
Home»Latest»The two players at your AFL club who could be poached by the Tasmania Devils
Latest

The two players at your AFL club who could be poached by the Tasmania Devils

info@thewitness.com.auBy info@thewitness.com.auMay 20, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
The two players at your AFL club who could be poached by the Tasmania Devils
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Threads Bluesky Copy Link


Jon Pierik

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

We all know how the so-called “inflation dragon” is adding to our cost-of-living pressures. For the AFL’s 18 clubs, football’s version is the list build of the league’s newest baby, the Tasmania Devils, which is about to ignite a fire under the cost-of-success pressures they are already feeling.

The AFL this week confirmed the full details of the Devils’ draft, free agency and trade rules ahead of their 2028 season debut, having already outlined the $5 million sign-on bonus fund, list sizes and their access to off-contract players.

Big call to make: St Kilda star Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera will be off contract next year, having become the league’s first $2 million-a-year man.Getty Images

The sign-on bonus can be spread over 2028 and 2029, with the total amount spent each year not to exceed $3 million or be less than $2 million.

Amid a plethora of draft concessions, the Devils can also sign up to 18 uncontracted players from rival clubs through 2027-28 (a maximum of one per club) without a trade needing to be struck.

Related Article

An animated Brad Scott.

Clubs, instead, will be compensated by a draft pick or picks from the AFL. And this is where it gets interesting.

The Devils made their plans clear to the 30 player agents they hosted over wine and golf at the stunning 7 Mile Beach links in February.

“[Building] the list is a big opportunity, but it is also a big risk,” Devils chief executive Brendon Gale, who helped guide Richmond to three premierships, said at the time.

“We want good players.”

And there are plenty about, whether that be those off contract in 2027 who could join the fledgling club in its inaugural year, or those who could join after year one.

Sydney star Chad Warner, Port Adelaide forward Mitch Georgiades and Melbourne ball winner Trent Rivers are projected to be free agents at the end of next year.

They may be extreme long shots to head to Tasmania, but the Devils have a free swing. Would one bite on a fair chunk of the sign-on bonus?

Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera has already become the league’s first $2 million a year man, but he has another major call to make through 2027 when off contract. Yes, it’s another highly unlikely signing for the Devils but, remember, many experts had him going home to South Australia last year.

Paul Connors, whose company CDG Sports manages Nick Daicos (contracted until the end of 2029), says it would be remiss to not listen to what the Devils had on offer, and Daicos himself told this masthead last year he wouldn’t rule out a move.

As this masthead reported in March, the brilliant onballer is the Magpies’ highest-paid player, earning $1.1 million a season, and will pocket up to $1.4 million in coming years, but the Devils can offer him a 10-year, $25 million deal, including a significant portion of their sign-on bonus.

Giants star Tom Green, a restricted free agent next year, is another name high on the Devils’ radar, despite the brilliant ball winner sitting out this year because of a knee injury.

However, as a rival club recruiter wishing to speak anonymously said, to prise Green (should the Giants match any offer) and Daicos out, the Devils would have to hand over multiple first-round picks, something Devils list boss Todd Patterson has said he was unlikely to do.

Geelong runner Max Holmes knocked back multi-million dollars when he last signed in 2024. Now at the peak of his powers, he is off contract after the 2028 campaign and is keen to financially prosper while he can.

Related Article

Some of the brightest young stars of four fallen powerhouses (clockwise from top left): Harley Reid (West Coast), Sam Lalor (Richmond), Jagga Smith (Carlton) and Sullivan Robey (Essendon).

St Kilda ruckman-forward Rowan Marshall, off contract next year, would be an ideal signing for a team looking for mature size. Essendon forward Nate Caddy would offer the Devils some flair.

But hard nut Collingwood forward-midfielder Beau McCreery almost fell over when it emerged the Devils could throw a lucrative seven-year deal his way, the Magpies privately noting this came soon after McCreery had changed management.

The Devils could also look to poach younger talent, including Richmond gun Sam Lalor and the uncapped Josh Smillie.

Fellow Tiger Rhyan Mansell is off contract this year, with contract negotiations ongoing, but the Launceston native will remain a player of interest, particularly if partner Monique Conti, the AFLW Tigers’ star and contracted until the end of 2027, is open to a shift south.

No.1 draft pick Willem Duursma and emerging superstar Harley Reid are the foundations for the rebirth of the West Coast Eagles, but the Devils could sell each on the fact they would be closer to home in Victoria should they consider a move in late 2028.

League sources say North Melbourne’s Finn O’Sullivan, and homegrown talents Colby McKercher, also a Kangaroo, and Ryley Sanders, now with the Western Bulldogs, are players of interest.

Brisbane two-time premiership forward Logan Morris, 21, is another league sources say the Devils are interested in.

There were 58 players last year paid at least $1 million, with this likely to increase by as much as 50 per cent come the end of next year, when the current collective bargaining agreement expires – and the Devils complete their initial list build.

Here are two players from every team who the Devils will definitely have noted are off contract when they arrive as the league’s 19th team.

As one player agent, who wished to remain anonymous, said on Wednesday: “It’s a good time to be off contract with the Devils around.”

Keep up to date with the best AFL coverage in the country. Sign up for the Real Footy newsletter.

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

Jon PierikJon Pierik is a sports journalist at The Age. He covers AFL and has won awards for his cricket and basketball writing.Connect via X or email.

From our partners

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest Bluesky Threads Tumblr Telegram Email
info@thewitness.com.au
  • Website

Related Posts

Fans have slammed Eddie Nketia’s 200m performance days after he broke an Australian record

May 20, 2026

Indoor sports facility proposed for site beneath Story Bridge in Kangaroo Point

May 20, 2026

Kylie Minogue spills major beans on Madonna ‘Confessions II’ album

May 20, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 2025221 Views

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 2025152 Views

Wife of Australian Community Media boss responds to husband’s assault charges

March 15, 2026114 Views
Don't Miss

Fans have slammed Eddie Nketia’s 200m performance days after he broke an Australian record

By info@thewitness.com.auMay 20, 2026

Eddie Nketia has been slammed by fans days after he broke the Australia all-conditions 100m…

Indoor sports facility proposed for site beneath Story Bridge in Kangaroo Point

May 20, 2026

Kylie Minogue spills major beans on Madonna ‘Confessions II’ album

May 20, 2026

Fiscal hawks are now so rare they’re endangered. Here’s why we need more of them

May 20, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
  • WhatsApp
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
Top Trending
Demo
Most Popular

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 2025221 Views

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 2025152 Views

Wife of Australian Community Media boss responds to husband’s assault charges

March 15, 2026114 Views
Our Picks

Fans have slammed Eddie Nketia’s 200m performance days after he broke an Australian record

May 20, 2026

Indoor sports facility proposed for site beneath Story Bridge in Kangaroo Point

May 20, 2026

Kylie Minogue spills major beans on Madonna ‘Confessions II’ album

May 20, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
© 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.