Close Menu
thewitness.com.au
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

AFL 2026: Thief breaks leg trying to steal commemorative sherrin as Scott Pendlebury watches on dumbfounded

May 20, 2026

How many does Brisbane really need?

May 20, 2026

Fans have slammed Eddie Nketia’s 200m performance days after he broke an Australian record

May 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
thewitness.com.au
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
thewitness.com.au
Home»Business & Economy»Son of billionaire fashion tycoon arrested as suspect in father’s hiking death
Business & Economy

Son of billionaire fashion tycoon arrested as suspect in father’s hiking death

info@thewitness.com.auBy info@thewitness.com.auMay 20, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Son of billionaire fashion tycoon arrested as suspect in father’s hiking death
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Threads Bluesky Copy Link


Joan Faus and Corina Pons

May 20, 2026 — 6:34am

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

Barcelona, Spain: The son of Isak Andic, founder of fashion group Mango, was named by a judge in Barcelona as a suspect in an investigation into his father’s death in a 2024 cliff-top fall.

Jonathan Andic, 45, was arrested and questioned by police in Catalonia, then brought to court in handcuffs, where the judge set bail of 1 million euros ($1.63 million) and required him to hand over his passport.

Jonathan Andic was brought to court in handcuffs, where the judge set bail of 1 million euros and required him to hand over his passport.AFP

He left the court after making bail, but cannot leave the region and is required to report to the court once a week.

Isak Andic died after falling more than 100 metres from a cliff while hiking with his son near Barcelona in December 2024. His death was initially treated as an accident.

Judge Raquel Nieto Galvan said in a statement after the court hearing that the case was being investigated as a homicide.

In her writ, she cited evidence pointing to a poor relationship between the two, possible financial motive, prior planning and study of the scene, “autopsy that practically rules out slipping or stumbling”, and discrepancies in the suspect’s statements, among other factors “that could implicate JA in the death of his father”.

Isak Andic, the founder of Spanish fashion brand Mango.AP

The Andic family said in a statement he was innocent.

“There is no legitimate evidence against him, nor will any be found,” it said.

In a statement, defence lawyer Cristobal Martell called the homicide theory inconsistent.

Related Article

Angela Bacares Lynch and Mike Lynch.

“But above all, it is painful. It stigmatises an innocent man. Now the real process begins, and the truth and his innocence will shine through.”

A spokesperson for the family said Mango’s Vice Chairman Jonathan Andic would continue to cooperate with authorities and called for the principle of the presumption of innocence to be respected.

Isak Andic, who was born in Istanbul, moved to Catalonia in the northeast of Spain in the 1960s and founded Mango in 1984. He built it into a global group seen as a rival to Zara.

At the time of his death, he was non-executive chairman of Mango with a net worth of $US4.5 billion according to Forbes.

Jonathan Andic and his two sisters jointly own 95 per cent of Mango, with 5 per cent owned by Toni Ruiz, its CEO since 2020.

Ruiz became chairman of the board, replacing Isak Andic in January 2025 after his death. Jonathan Andic, who previously worked in Mango’s retail operations, was named vice chairman.

Reuters

The Business Briefing newsletter delivers major stories, exclusive coverage and expert opinion. Sign up to get it every weekday morning.

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

From our partners

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest Bluesky Threads Tumblr Telegram Email
info@thewitness.com.au
  • Website

Related Posts

AFL 2026: Thief breaks leg trying to steal commemorative sherrin as Scott Pendlebury watches on dumbfounded

May 20, 2026

How many does Brisbane really need?

May 20, 2026

Fans have slammed Eddie Nketia’s 200m performance days after he broke an Australian record

May 20, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 2025221 Views

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 2025152 Views

Wife of Australian Community Media boss responds to husband’s assault charges

March 15, 2026114 Views
Don't Miss

AFL 2026: Thief breaks leg trying to steal commemorative sherrin as Scott Pendlebury watches on dumbfounded

By info@thewitness.com.auMay 20, 2026

A thief who tried to steal one of Scott Pendlebury’s commemorative sherrins reportedly had his…

How many does Brisbane really need?

May 20, 2026

Fans have slammed Eddie Nketia’s 200m performance days after he broke an Australian record

May 20, 2026

Indoor sports facility proposed for site beneath Story Bridge in Kangaroo Point

May 20, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
  • WhatsApp
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
Top Trending
Demo
Most Popular

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 2025221 Views

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 2025152 Views

Wife of Australian Community Media boss responds to husband’s assault charges

March 15, 2026114 Views
Our Picks

AFL 2026: Thief breaks leg trying to steal commemorative sherrin as Scott Pendlebury watches on dumbfounded

May 20, 2026

How many does Brisbane really need?

May 20, 2026

Fans have slammed Eddie Nketia’s 200m performance days after he broke an Australian record

May 20, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
© 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.