NRL great Luke Keary has suggested there is more to the story regarding Reece Walsh’s Origin snub as Cameron Smith revealed why he believes the superstar No. 1 was left out.

Announcing the squad for State of Origin Game 1 on Monday, Queensland coach Billy Slater stunned the NRL world by leaving Walsh out of his 20-man squad entirely.

Explaining his decision, the Queensland coach said Kalyn Ponga – who was named at fullback – was in a “sweet spot” of form compared to Walsh, who had not played “his best football” upon returning from a facial fracture two weeks ago.

'He's getting there': Billy Slater responds to Reece Walsh's omission

However, Keary believes Slater isn’t telling the whole story, declaring “something doesn’t add up”.

Keary pointed to comments made by Cameron Smith, who served as an assistant coach for the Maroons under head coach Slater for two seasons in 2022 and 2023, suggesting he knew the Broncos star was set to be axed when Smith said he wouldn’t pick Walsh in the squad at all.

“Last week Cam Smith, Queensland legend and very close friend of Billy Slater, named his Queensland team and it didn’t have Reece Walsh in it,” Keary said on Channel 7’s The Agenda Setters on Monday night.

“Cam Smith works at the Brisbane Broncos as a leadership consultant, so he’s obviously close with Reece and that team, for him to not have (Walsh) in that team, it was very, very bizarre to me. Very bizarre.

“There’s something that doesn’t add up and I don’t know how to explain it.”

Keary added that “no way” Walsh’s axing was simply a form issue and said conversations will undoubtedly need to be had in the background.

“It’s obviously a conversation Billy will have with Reece in the background,” Keary continued.

“I just find it very hard to believe that the Clive Churchill medallist, the best player in the Ashes series, he’s probably the best player, behind Nathan Cleary, when he’s on — and he hasn’t been off this year.

“He got injured, but he hasn’t been off, and Kalyn’s been injured too. This isn’t like Kalyn’s absolute lit up the competition.”

Aaron Woods reignites feud with Billy Slater

Cameron Smith reveals ‘reason’ behind Reece Walsh axing

Smith spoke on Walsh’s axing on Nine’s 100% Footy, stating he believes the 23-year-old was dropped due to his defensive frailties and his overall management of the defensive line.

“Billy might look at positioning,” Smith said at the start of the month on ‘100% Footy’. “I think their (Walsh and Ponga’s) work away from the football. I think they’re both brilliant players in attacking positions and can break games open.

“But it’s the work they do, particularly in defence, to help position their defensive line. That’s what Billy will be looking at the most. That’s what made him the greatest fullback in our game.”

QUEENSLAND 20-MAN SQUAD

1. Kalyn Ponga (Knights)

2. Selwyn Cobbo (Dolphins)

3. Robert Toia (Roosters)

4. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (Dolphins)

5. Jojo Fifita (Titans)

6. Cameron Munster (Storm)

7. Sam Walker (Roosters)

8. Thomas Flegler (Dolphins)

9. Harry Grant (Storm)

10. Tino Fa’asuamaleaui (Titans)

11. Reuben Cotter (Cowboys)

12. Kurt Capewell (Warriors)

13. Max Plath (Dolphins)

Interchange

14. Briton Nikora (Sharks)

15. Trent Loiero (Storm)

16. Lindsay Collins (Roosters)

17. Patrick Carrigan (Broncos)

18. Ezra Mam (Broncos)

19. Gehamat Shibasaki (Broncos)

20. Kulikefu Finefeuiaki (Dolphins)

Read related topics:Brisbane
Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version