Close Menu
thewitness.com.au
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

The Enhanced Games star trying to run faster than Usain Bolt – drug free

May 21, 2026

The budget fallout has Angus Taylor back in contention, but something’s askew about this battle

May 21, 2026

Gladys Berejiklian has a new gig at non-profit – just don’t ask her about politics

May 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
thewitness.com.au
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
thewitness.com.au
Home»International News»Queen Elizabeth II was ‘very keen’ for Andrew to be appointed UK trade envoy, documents reveal
International News

Queen Elizabeth II was ‘very keen’ for Andrew to be appointed UK trade envoy, documents reveal

info@thewitness.com.auBy info@thewitness.com.auMay 21, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Queen Elizabeth II was ‘very keen’ for Andrew to be appointed UK trade envoy, documents reveal
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Threads Bluesky Copy Link


You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

Queen Elizabeth II was “very keen” that former Prince Andrew be given the job of UK trade envoy, documents show.

The UK government on Thursday released the confidential papers related to the appointment, just months after lawmakers accused the King’s brother of putting his friendship with Jeffrey Epstein ahead of the nation.

Former Prince Andrew in military uniform with his mother, Queen Elizabeth II, at the Trooping the Colour in 2019, before being stripped of his titles.Alamy

David Wright, the chief executive of British Trade International, said that before the appointment was made, he had a “wide-ranging discussion” with the late Queen Elizabeth’s private secretary about Andrew’s appointment.

“The Queen’s wish is that the Duke of Kent should be succeeded in this role [as trade envoy] by the Duke of York,” Wright said in one document, referring to Mountbatten-Windsor’s previous title.

“The Queen is very keen that the Duke of York should take on a prominent role in the promotion of national interests.”

The involvement of the late Queen will confirm previously held beliefs that the monarch held a soft spot for her son – an empathy that might have influenced her lack of decisiveness in dealing with allegations of Andrew’s connection to Epstein.

Related Article

Andrew and King Charles leave a London Mass in September.

Lawmakers approved a motion in February demanding publication of the documents after the one-time prince, now known simply as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, was arrested on charges related to allegations that he shared government reports with Epstein while he was trade envoy.

He was the first member of the British royal family to be arrested in more than three centuries.

Trade Minister Chris Bryant said in a written statement to lawmakers that “we have found no evidence that a formal due diligence or vetting process was undertaken” before Andrew was appointed to the role.

“There is also no evidence that this was considered. This is understandable since this new appointment was a continuation of the royal family’s involvement in trade and investment promotion work following the Duke of Kent’s decision to relinquish his duties as Vice-Chairman of the Overseas Trade Board,” he said.

He said that the government was cooperating with Thames Valley Police on their investigation into Mountbatten-Windsor and possible misconduct in public office.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, pictured here at Windsor Castle last year.AP

Emails released earlier this year suggest that Mountbatten-Windsor, while serving as trade envoy, forwarded government reports to Epstein, the late convicted sex offender.

Mountbatten-Windsor was stripped of his royal title last year as King Charles III tried to insulate the monarchy from the growing fallout from the Epstein scandal. The former prince served as a special envoy for international trade from 2001 to 2011, when he was forced to give up the role because of concerns about his links to questionable figures in Libya and Azerbaijan.

The move followed the US Justice Department’s release of millions of pages of documents related to Epstein. Those files showed how the wealthy financier used an international web of rich, powerful friends to gain influence and sexually exploit young women and girls.

Related Article

The Epstein files are challenging a foundational American myth

Nowhere has the fallout from the document release been felt more strongly than in the UK, where the scandal has raised questions about the way power is wielded by the aristocracy, senior politicians and influential business owners, known collectively as “the Establishment”.

Mountbatten-Windsor has vehemently denied any wrongdoing.

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

From our partners

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest Bluesky Threads Tumblr Telegram Email
info@thewitness.com.au
  • Website

Related Posts

The Enhanced Games star trying to run faster than Usain Bolt – drug free

May 21, 2026

The budget fallout has Angus Taylor back in contention, but something’s askew about this battle

May 21, 2026

Gladys Berejiklian has a new gig at non-profit – just don’t ask her about politics

May 21, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 2025224 Views

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 2025153 Views

Wife of Australian Community Media boss responds to husband’s assault charges

March 15, 2026115 Views
Don't Miss

The Enhanced Games star trying to run faster than Usain Bolt – drug free

By info@thewitness.com.auMay 21, 2026

SaveYou have reached your maximum number of saved items.Remove items from your saved list to…

The budget fallout has Angus Taylor back in contention, but something’s askew about this battle

May 21, 2026

Gladys Berejiklian has a new gig at non-profit – just don’t ask her about politics

May 21, 2026

NSW government to trial fertility control alongside resumed aerial shooting

May 21, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
  • WhatsApp
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
Top Trending
Demo
Most Popular

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 2025224 Views

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 2025153 Views

Wife of Australian Community Media boss responds to husband’s assault charges

March 15, 2026115 Views
Our Picks

The Enhanced Games star trying to run faster than Usain Bolt – drug free

May 21, 2026

The budget fallout has Angus Taylor back in contention, but something’s askew about this battle

May 21, 2026

Gladys Berejiklian has a new gig at non-profit – just don’t ask her about politics

May 21, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
© 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.