Close Menu
thewitness.com.au
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

Channing Tatum joins campaign calling Pam Bondi Trump’s Ghislaine Maxwell

February 16, 2026

Australian IS brides turned back after leaving Syrian camp; Government should consider changes to tobacco excise, experts say

February 16, 2026

Aussies lose to Sri Lanka at T20 World Cup

February 16, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
thewitness.com.au
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
thewitness.com.au
Home»International News»Iran warns of retaliation if Trump strikes, as US withdraws personnel from bases
International News

Iran warns of retaliation if Trump strikes, as US withdraws personnel from bases

info@thewitness.com.auBy info@thewitness.com.auJanuary 14, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
Iran warns of retaliation if Trump strikes, as US withdraws personnel from bases
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Threads Bluesky Copy Link


Qatar said drawdowns from its Al Udeid air base – the biggest US base in the Middle East – were “being undertaken in response to the current regional tensions”.

Loading

Three diplomats said some personnel had been told to leave the base, though there were no immediate signs of large numbers of troops being bussed out to a soccer stadium and shopping mall as took place hours before an Iranian missile strike last year.

Trump has repeatedly threatened to intervene in support of protesters in Iran, where thousands of people have been reported killed in a crackdown on the unrest against clerical rule.

Iran and its Western foes have both described the unrest, which began two weeks ago as demonstrations against dire economic conditions and rapidly escalated in recent days, as the most violent since the 1979 Islamic Revolution that installed Iran’s system of Shi’ite clerical rule.

An Iranian official has said more than 2000 people have died. A rights group put the toll at more than 2600.

Loading

Iran has “never faced this volume of destruction”, Armed Forces chief of staff Abdolrahim Mousavi said on Wednesday, blaming foreign enemies.

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot described “the most violent repression in Iran’s contemporary history”.

Iranian authorities have accused the US and Israel of fomenting the unrest, carried out by people it calls armed terrorists.

Trump has openly threatened to intervene in Iran for days, without giving specifics. In an interview with CBS News this week, he vowed “very strong action” if Iran executes protesters. He also urged Iranians to keep protesting and take over institutions, declaring “help is on the way”.

The senior Iranian official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Tehran had asked US allies in the region to prevent Washington from attacking Iran.

The caskets of members of Iran’s security forces, whom authorities said were killed during recent nationwide protests, during a mass funeral outside Tehran University on Wednesday.

The caskets of members of Iran’s security forces, whom authorities said were killed during recent nationwide protests, during a mass funeral outside Tehran University on Wednesday.Credit: Getty Images

“Tehran has told regional countries, from Saudi Arabia and UAE to Turkey, that US bases in those countries will be attacked” if the US targets Iran, the official said.

Direct contacts between Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi and US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff have been suspended, the official added.

The US has forces across the region, including the forward headquarters of its Central Command at Al Udeid and the headquarters of the US Navy’s Fifth Fleet in Bahrain.

Loading

An internet blackout has hampered the flow of information from inside Iran.

The US-based HRANA rights group said it had so far verified the deaths of 2403 protesters and 147 government-affiliated individuals, dwarfing tolls from previous waves of protests crushed by the authorities in 2022 and 2009.

The government’s prestige was hammered by a 12-day Israeli bombing campaign last June – joined by the US – that followed setbacks for Iran’s regional allies in Lebanon and Syria. European powers restored UN sanctions over Iran’s nuclear programme, compounding the economic crisis there.

The unrest on such a scale caught the authorities off guard at a vulnerable time, but it does not appear that the government faces imminent collapse, and its security apparatus still appears to be in control, one Western official said.

Loading

The authorities have sought to project images showing they retain public support. Iranian state TV broadcast footage of large funeral processions for people killed in the unrest in Tehran, Isfahan, Bushehr and other cities.

People waved flags and pictures of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and held aloft signs with anti-riot slogans.

President Masoud Pezeshkian, an elected figure whose power is subordinate to that of Khamenei, told a cabinet meeting that as long as the government had popular support, “all the enemies’ efforts against the country will come to nothing”.

State media reported that the head of Iran’s top security body, Ali Larijani, had spoken to the foreign minister of Qatar, while Iran’s top diplomat Araqchi had spoken to his Emirati and Turkish counterparts. Araqchi told UAE Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed that “calm has prevailed”.

HRANA reported 18,137 arrests so far.

Reuters

Get a note directly from our foreign correspondents on what’s making headlines around the world. Sign up for our weekly What in the World newsletter.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest Bluesky Threads Tumblr Telegram Email
info@thewitness.com.au
  • Website

Related Posts

Channing Tatum joins campaign calling Pam Bondi Trump’s Ghislaine Maxwell

February 16, 2026

Australian IS brides turned back after leaving Syrian camp; Government should consider changes to tobacco excise, experts say

February 16, 2026

Aussies lose to Sri Lanka at T20 World Cup

February 16, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 202597 Views

Man on warrant found hiding in a drain in NSW central west

October 23, 202542 Views

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 202538 Views
Don't Miss

Channing Tatum joins campaign calling Pam Bondi Trump’s Ghislaine Maxwell

By info@thewitness.com.auFebruary 16, 2026

Hollywood star Channing Tatum on Monday joined an online campaign against US Attorney General Pam…

Australian IS brides turned back after leaving Syrian camp; Government should consider changes to tobacco excise, experts say

February 16, 2026

Aussies lose to Sri Lanka at T20 World Cup

February 16, 2026

‘The Godfather’ star Robert Duvall breathes his last at 95

February 16, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
  • WhatsApp
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
Top Trending
Demo
Most Popular

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 202597 Views

Man on warrant found hiding in a drain in NSW central west

October 23, 202542 Views

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 202538 Views
Our Picks

Channing Tatum joins campaign calling Pam Bondi Trump’s Ghislaine Maxwell

February 16, 2026

Australian IS brides turned back after leaving Syrian camp; Government should consider changes to tobacco excise, experts say

February 16, 2026

Aussies lose to Sri Lanka at T20 World Cup

February 16, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
© 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.