Close Menu
thewitness.com.au
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

Wedged between China and the US, Australia’s salesman in chief performs delicate balancing act

May 23, 2026

One Nation could win 59 seats in an election today: shock new poll

May 23, 2026

Round 12: Dragons v Warriors | Match Highlights

May 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
thewitness.com.au
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
thewitness.com.au
Home»Latest»Inquests into Dezi Freeman and slain police officers to begin on Monday
Latest

Inquests into Dezi Freeman and slain police officers to begin on Monday

info@thewitness.com.auBy info@thewitness.com.auMay 23, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
Inquests into Dezi Freeman and slain police officers to begin on Monday
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Threads Bluesky Copy Link


Inquests into the deaths of cop killer Dezi Freeman and two slain police officers will formally begin under the direction of the Victorian Coroner next week.

Freeman, 56, killed Detective Leading Constable Neal Thompson, 59, and Senior Constable Vadim de Waart-Hottart, 35, on August 26 last year when police went to his Porepunkah property to serve him a warrant for alleged historical sexual offences.

A third officer was seriously injured in the shooting.

Freeman, previously known as Desmond Filby, was a married father and “sovereign citizen” who had previously espoused hostility towards the police and judicial system.

After the shooting, he fled into the bushland of Mount Buffalo as police conducted an enormous manhunt for the “experienced bushman” in the seven months that followed.

A $1m reward was offered on September 6 for information leading to his capture.

Freeman was shot dead at a Thologolong property on March 30 after a standoff that lasted for “several hours”.

He had been hiding out in an old shipping container near the NSW border, about 200km northeast of Porepunkah.

Victoria Police has now turned its attention to whether Freeman had received assistance while on the run.

A morning hearing will be held on Monday at the Coroners Court for the deaths of Constable Thompson and Constable de Waart-Hottart, followed by an afternoon hearing for Freeman.

According to a Coroners Court spokeswoman, State Coroner Liberty Sanger will confirm the initial steps of the coronial investigation process at Monday’s hearings.

“Judge Liberty Sanger will confirm the Victoria Police member assigned to be the coroner’s investigator in each respective coronial investigation and establish a timeline for delivery of the coronial briefs of evidence,” the spokeswoman said.

In Victoria, coroners independently examine the circumstances surrounding a death and, if necessary, consider whether anything could be done differently to help prevent similar events.

Speaking after Freeman was shot dead, Victoria Chief Police Commissioner Mike Bush said he was comfortable the wanted killer had been given “every opportunity to resolve this peacefully”.

“We tried everything possible, every tactical option that we have, to encourage the deceased to end this in a safe and peaceful manner,” he said. They weren’t taken.”

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest Bluesky Threads Tumblr Telegram Email
info@thewitness.com.au
  • Website

Related Posts

Wedged between China and the US, Australia’s salesman in chief performs delicate balancing act

May 23, 2026

One Nation could win 59 seats in an election today: shock new poll

May 23, 2026

Round 12: Dragons v Warriors | Match Highlights

May 23, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 2025224 Views

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 2025153 Views

Wife of Australian Community Media boss responds to husband’s assault charges

March 15, 2026115 Views
Don't Miss

Wedged between China and the US, Australia’s salesman in chief performs delicate balancing act

By info@thewitness.com.auMay 23, 2026

SaveYou have reached your maximum number of saved items.Remove items from your saved list to…

One Nation could win 59 seats in an election today: shock new poll

May 23, 2026

Round 12: Dragons v Warriors | Match Highlights

May 23, 2026

Australian investment property tax changes likely to kill the ‘house flip’

May 23, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
  • WhatsApp
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
Top Trending
Demo
Most Popular

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 2025224 Views

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 2025153 Views

Wife of Australian Community Media boss responds to husband’s assault charges

March 15, 2026115 Views
Our Picks

Wedged between China and the US, Australia’s salesman in chief performs delicate balancing act

May 23, 2026

One Nation could win 59 seats in an election today: shock new poll

May 23, 2026

Round 12: Dragons v Warriors | Match Highlights

May 23, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
© 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.