Close Menu
thewitness.com.au
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

I’m not a skier, but New Zealand’s other South Island activities won me over

May 22, 2026

Why it would be a disaster for the GWS Giants if Toby Greene went to another AFL club

May 22, 2026

As Stephen Colbert exits ‘The Late Show’ podcasts have the last laugh

May 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
thewitness.com.au
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
thewitness.com.au
Home»Latest»Bruce Lehrmann locked in court fight with NACC over legal bills
Latest

Bruce Lehrmann locked in court fight with NACC over legal bills

info@thewitness.com.auBy info@thewitness.com.auSeptember 9, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
Bruce Lehrmann locked in court fight with NACC over legal bills
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Threads Bluesky Copy Link


He claims that he was told by NACC officers at the time that he would be entitled to “funding for legal representation throughout the NACC process”, and that he has incurred substantial legal costs in reliance on that assurance.

He says it is “well established” that he is in “serious financial peril” and alleges the NACC and the Commonwealth “appear recklessly indifferent” to the damaging effect the watchdog’s processes have on former political staffers “when frivolous allegations are advanced”.

Lehrmann also claims he has been questioned in relation to a second NACC investigation, and that he continues to be represented by a senior barrister and a solicitor in relation to both investigations “as they have not been finalised”.

Bruce Lehrmann’s lawyer Zali Burrows, pictured at the Federal Court in October.

Bruce Lehrmann’s lawyer Zali Burrows, pictured at the Federal Court in October.Credit: Edwina Pickles

Lehrmann’s lawyer, Zali Burrows, confirmed last year that her client’s home had been raided by the NACC on June 5.

Lehrmann was employed by then-defence industry minister Linda Reynolds in 2019 and claimed in his defamation case against Network Ten and Lisa Wilkinson that he was involved in work relating to “the French submarine contract” that was later cancelled in favour of the AUKUS deal with the United States and Britain.

The NACC and the Commonwealth have yet to file a response to Lehrmann’s application in court.

Loading

In a separate fight, Lehrmann has asked the Full Court of the Federal Court to overturn his damning defamation loss, including the central finding by Justice Michael Lee that he raped his then-colleague Brittany Higgins in 2019 in Reynolds’ Parliament House office.

Burrows said in submissions to the Full Court last month that her client’s failed defamation case was a “quasi-criminal trial” and the presiding judge had insufficient evidence to find the former federal Liberal staffer was a rapist.

In his decision last year, Lee was satisfied Ten and Wilkinson had proven to the civil standard – on the balance of probabilities – that Lehrmann raped Higgins. Lehrmann has always maintained his innocence.

Burrows said in written submissions filed in the defamation appeal that “where the evidence is inadequate, it may simply not be possible to judge the likelihood that something happened reliably enough to reach a rational conclusion one way or the other on the balance of probabilities”.

Start the day with a summary of the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest Bluesky Threads Tumblr Telegram Email
info@thewitness.com.au
  • Website

Related Posts

I’m not a skier, but New Zealand’s other South Island activities won me over

May 22, 2026

Why it would be a disaster for the GWS Giants if Toby Greene went to another AFL club

May 22, 2026

As Stephen Colbert exits ‘The Late Show’ podcasts have the last laugh

May 22, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 2025224 Views

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 2025153 Views

Wife of Australian Community Media boss responds to husband’s assault charges

March 15, 2026115 Views
Don't Miss

I’m not a skier, but New Zealand’s other South Island activities won me over

By info@thewitness.com.auMay 22, 2026

SaveYou have reached your maximum number of saved items.Remove items from your saved list to…

Why it would be a disaster for the GWS Giants if Toby Greene went to another AFL club

May 22, 2026

As Stephen Colbert exits ‘The Late Show’ podcasts have the last laugh

May 22, 2026

Government will need to tread carefully through budget storm

May 22, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
  • WhatsApp
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
Top Trending
Demo
Most Popular

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 2025224 Views

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 2025153 Views

Wife of Australian Community Media boss responds to husband’s assault charges

March 15, 2026115 Views
Our Picks

I’m not a skier, but New Zealand’s other South Island activities won me over

May 22, 2026

Why it would be a disaster for the GWS Giants if Toby Greene went to another AFL club

May 22, 2026

As Stephen Colbert exits ‘The Late Show’ podcasts have the last laugh

May 22, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
© 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.