Close Menu
thewitness.com.au
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

Cruz Beckham targeted as Brooklyn gets support from Meghan’s fanbase

February 16, 2026

Sheriff says investigators still finding suspects’ intentions in Nancy Guthrie’s abduction

February 16, 2026

Inside the new USA vs World tournament format

February 16, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
thewitness.com.au
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
thewitness.com.au
Home»Latest»Australian ISIS brides and children are out of Syrian camp and on their way home
Latest

Australian ISIS brides and children are out of Syrian camp and on their way home

info@thewitness.com.auBy info@thewitness.com.auFebruary 16, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
Australian ISIS brides and children are out of Syrian camp and on their way home
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Threads Bluesky Copy Link


Michael Bachelard

February 16, 2026 — 8:54pm

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

Save this article for later

Add articles to your saved list and come back to them anytime.

A large group of Australian Islamic State brides and their children are on their way back to Australia after they left a Syrian camp late on Monday for the capital, Damascus.

As the Australian government insisted it had done nothing to help facilitate their departure, Syrian sources said they would travel from there to Beirut, and then home to Australia.

Australian families at the Al Roj refugee camp begin their journey home.

The Kurdish local authorities who control the camp revealed late on Monday that 11 Australian families, comprising 34 women and children, had left the camp for the Syrian capital. An earlier statement said 24 Australians had departed.

They have been living in one or another internment camp in north-eastern Syria since March 2019, when the so-called Islamic caliphate fell. They were approaching their seventh anniversary in the camps.

A local journalist, working for this masthead, said some Australians had been left behind.

The camp’s director, Hakamia Ibrahim, confirmed the Australians would move from Damascus to Beirut, where they would approach the Australian embassy to seek passports home.

Eleven Australian families have left the camp for the Syrian capital.

In a statement, a spokesman for Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said the Australian Government “is not and will not repatriate people from Syria.”

However, it has previously taken the position that, if any citizen gets themselves to an Australian embassy, the government is legally obliged to issue them with a passport.

“Our security agencies have been monitoring – and continue to monitor – the situation in Syria to ensure they are prepared for any Australians seeking to return to Australia,” the spokesman said.

“People in this cohort need to know that if they have committed a crime and if they return to Australia they will be met with the full force of the law. The safety of Australians and the protection of Australia’s national interests remain the overriding priority.”

The group left the camp on Monday night (AEST).
The Australians will travel to Beirut, where they hope to get passports at the Australian embassy.
The group comprises 34 women and children.
Australian women at the Al Roj refugee camp.

Under both Liberal and Labor parties, the government has long refused to repatriate the bulk of the families, saying it was too dangerous to send Australian public servants to the region.

The women and children are the remnants of dozens of families who travelled to Syria and Iraq during the rule of Islamic State. They were captured after the so-called caliphate was defeated.

Since then, a number have been repatriated. In 2019, the Morrison government brought back eight orphans and one newborn baby. Then, in October 2022 – early in Albanese’s first term – four Australian women and their 13 children were brought back to Sydney under former home affairs minister Clare O’Neil, prompting a minor backlash.

Australian women with their children in Al-Hawl camp in northern Syria in 2019.Kate Geraghty

None were returned to Victoria. Former secretary of the Department of Home Affairs Mike Pezzullo told an estimates committee hearing in 2022 that, “If a state government chose to say, ‘We don’t want to proceed,’ then I would have thought the Commonwealth would take that pretty seriously … they’ll give us the authority to proceed or otherwise.”

Camp director Ibrahim said more than 2000 wives and children of 40 different nationalities of former IS fighters were held in the camp after the Islamic State in Syria collapsed in March 2019.

Start the day with a summary of the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter.

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

Michael BachelardMichael Bachelard is a senior writer and former deputy editor and investigations editor of The Age. He has worked in Canberra, Melbourne and Jakarta, has written two books and won multiple awards for journalism, including the Gold Walkley.Connect via X or email.

From our partners

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest Bluesky Threads Tumblr Telegram Email
info@thewitness.com.au
  • Website

Related Posts

Cruz Beckham targeted as Brooklyn gets support from Meghan’s fanbase

February 16, 2026

Sheriff says investigators still finding suspects’ intentions in Nancy Guthrie’s abduction

February 16, 2026

Inside the new USA vs World tournament format

February 16, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 202597 Views

Man on warrant found hiding in a drain in NSW central west

October 23, 202542 Views

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 202538 Views
Don't Miss

Cruz Beckham targeted as Brooklyn gets support from Meghan’s fanbase

By info@thewitness.com.auFebruary 16, 2026

Brooklyn Beckham seems to have found unexpected allies in the US after his recent dispute…

Sheriff says investigators still finding suspects’ intentions in Nancy Guthrie’s abduction

February 16, 2026

Inside the new USA vs World tournament format

February 16, 2026

Canada stays unbeaten with dominant win over France

February 16, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
  • WhatsApp
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
Top Trending
Demo
Most Popular

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 202597 Views

Man on warrant found hiding in a drain in NSW central west

October 23, 202542 Views

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 202538 Views
Our Picks

Cruz Beckham targeted as Brooklyn gets support from Meghan’s fanbase

February 16, 2026

Sheriff says investigators still finding suspects’ intentions in Nancy Guthrie’s abduction

February 16, 2026

Inside the new USA vs World tournament format

February 16, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
© 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.