Close Menu
thewitness.com.au
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

Best of cartoons, February 17, 2026

February 16, 2026

Kanye West heads to India to mark his debut concert

February 16, 2026

Why new Origin international eligibility rules spell trouble for Australia

February 16, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
thewitness.com.au
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
thewitness.com.au
Home»International News»Anger grows over Crans-Montana blaze at Le Constellation bar as police identify injured
International News

Anger grows over Crans-Montana blaze at Le Constellation bar as police identify injured

info@thewitness.com.auBy info@thewitness.com.auJanuary 6, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
Anger grows over Crans-Montana blaze at Le Constellation bar as police identify injured
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Threads Bluesky Copy Link


“This was not a case of bad luck or misfortune … a modicum of common sense and some prevention measures would have been enough to avoid it.

“It appears that there was just one emergency exit and it was not easily identifiable. There were very few security staff – possibly just one. They probably also lacked fire extinguishers. The soundproofing panels that were attached to the ceiling were highly flammable.

An Italian Air Force plane prepares to take home the bodies of five Italian teenagers killed in a Swiss bar fire on New Year’s Day.

An Italian Air Force plane prepares to take home the bodies of five Italian teenagers killed in a Swiss bar fire on New Year’s Day.Credit: AP

“These kids were abandoned. They were left alone in the midst of a disaster.”

The injured include 68 Swiss citizens, 21 French nationals, 10 Italians, four Serbs, two Poles and one person each from Australia, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, the Czech Republic, Luxembourg, Portugal and the Republic of Congo, according to a police statement. There were also four dual nationals: of France and Finland, France and Italy, Switzerland and Belgium, and Italy and the Philippines.

Police said 83 of the injured were still in hospitals. They didn’t give further details or specify their ages.

Tages-Anzeiger, another leading Swiss newspaper, said questions must be answered about age checks at the bar, the soundproofing material used in the basement and the standards governing use of the so-called fountain candles believed to have triggered the fire.

Italian teenager Emanuele Galeppini was killed in the fire.

Italian teenager Emanuele Galeppini was killed in the fire.Credit: Italian Golf Federation

One of the bar’s two operators, Jacques Moretti, told Swiss media that Le Constellation had been checked three times in 10 years and that everything was done according to the rules.

Authorities in the canton of Valais said investigators were checking if the bar had undergone its annual building inspections, but that the town had not raised concerns or reported defects to the canton.

Loading

The municipality of Crans-Montana said it has handed prosecutors documents relevant to the investigation and had joined the criminal proceedings as a civil party.

“This will allow [the municipality] to actively contribute to establishing all the facts,” it said.

Crans-Montana will on Friday hold a ceremony honouring the victims. The French government said president Emmanuel Macron would attend.

Reuters

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest Bluesky Threads Tumblr Telegram Email
info@thewitness.com.au
  • Website

Related Posts

Best of cartoons, February 17, 2026

February 16, 2026

Kanye West heads to India to mark his debut concert

February 16, 2026

Why new Origin international eligibility rules spell trouble for Australia

February 16, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 202597 Views

Man on warrant found hiding in a drain in NSW central west

October 23, 202542 Views

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 202538 Views
Don't Miss

Best of cartoons, February 17, 2026

By info@thewitness.com.auFebruary 16, 2026

The news of the day as interpreted by our talented artists, illustrators and cartoonists.

Kanye West heads to India to mark his debut concert

February 16, 2026

Why new Origin international eligibility rules spell trouble for Australia

February 16, 2026

Critica cracks commercial-grade rare earths code in WA

February 16, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
  • WhatsApp
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
Top Trending
Demo
Most Popular

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 202597 Views

Man on warrant found hiding in a drain in NSW central west

October 23, 202542 Views

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 202538 Views
Our Picks

Best of cartoons, February 17, 2026

February 16, 2026

Kanye West heads to India to mark his debut concert

February 16, 2026

Why new Origin international eligibility rules spell trouble for Australia

February 16, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
© 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.