Close Menu
thewitness.com.au
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

Channing Tatum joins campaign calling Pam Bondi Trump’s Ghislaine Maxwell

February 16, 2026

Australian IS brides turned back after leaving Syrian camp; Government should consider changes to tobacco excise, experts say

February 16, 2026

Aussies lose to Sri Lanka at T20 World Cup

February 16, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
thewitness.com.au
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
thewitness.com.au
Home»Business & Economy»ABC staff told not to delete emails, documents relating to antisemitism, extremism
Business & Economy

ABC staff told not to delete emails, documents relating to antisemitism, extremism

info@thewitness.com.auBy info@thewitness.com.auFebruary 6, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
ABC staff told not to delete emails, documents relating to antisemitism, extremism
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Threads Bluesky Copy Link


Kishor Napier-Raman

Updated February 6, 2026 — 1:11pm,first published 12:45pm

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

Save this article for later

Add articles to your saved list and come back to them anytime.

ABC staff have been ordered not to delete emails, photographs and documents relating to antisemitism, social cohesion and the Bondi terrorist attack ahead of an upcoming royal commission into the December massacre.

In a message to staff seen by this masthead, the ABC’s director of news Justin Stevens said the National Archives of Australia had issued “disposal freeze notices” to institutions including the ABC and SBS.

ABC director of news Justin Stevens.Janie Barrett

The orders inform staff that the public broadcaster is required to keep any document or record which could be relevant to the commission, including on social cohesion, antisemitism, religiously motivated extremism, radicalisation, law enforcement, border control, and the circumstances surrounding the Bondi attack.

Last month, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese announced a royal commission into the devastating attack of December 14, which left 15 people dead.

Albanese initially opposed a federal inquiry, arguing that a NSW-based inquiry would be sufficient, but backtracked after criticism from across the political spectrum. Former High Court judge Virginia Bell was hand-picked to be commissioner, with the probe set to conclude before December 14, 2026.

The commission will investigate “the nature and prevalence of antisemitism in institutions and society… in Australia.”

Stevens told ABC employees that the message about keeping records was being sent “to all news staff to ensure we don’t inadvertently miss anyone, however, only some of you will have materials that are relevant.”

Stevens said that ABC staff were obliged to protect a range of material, including, documents, emails, text messages, social media posts, audio records, and datasets. He also warned staff about the use of timed disappearing messages on encrypted apps like Signal, which are frequently used by journalists to discuss sensitive material with sources.

“Going forward, if you receive or send messages on Signal or any similar apps on these topics, continuing to use a disappearing messages setting would be a breach of the notice,” Stevens said.

“If you regularly delete emails for storage and security reasons we have to exclude emails on these topics from deletion until further notice.”

Related Article

A menorah frames flowers laid in grief a week after the December 14 massacre at Bondi Beach. Calls have grown for a deeper investigation of the attack.

The ABC, along with other government agencies, were issued with a similar notice by the National Archives in 2020, relating to a federal inquiry into potential breaches of the law of war by Australian forces in Afghanistan. That notice remains in place.

The ABC declined to comment. The National Archives was contacted for comment.

An SBS spokesman said: “SBS has only recently received this notice and we are still in the process of working through the implementation and impacts.”

The current notice was issued by the National Archives’ director-general Simon Froude this week, and applies to over 30 government agencies, including the ABC, SBS, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, the eSafety Commissioner and the Attorney-General’s Department.

“A disposal freeze is necessary to ensure that these records are protected and available when required,” Froude said in a statement on the archives’ website.

Technically, the notice suspends the National Archives’ permission to destroy government records related to antisemitism and social cohesion. A failure to comply with the notice can incur penalties of up to $6600.

Cut through the noise of federal politics with news, views and expert analysis. Subscribers can sign up to our weekly Inside Politics newsletter.

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

Kishor Napier-RamanKishor Napier-Raman is a senior business writer for The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age. Previously he worked as a CBD columnist and reporter in the federal parliamentary press gallery.Connect via X or email.

From our partners

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest Bluesky Threads Tumblr Telegram Email
info@thewitness.com.au
  • Website

Related Posts

Channing Tatum joins campaign calling Pam Bondi Trump’s Ghislaine Maxwell

February 16, 2026

Australian IS brides turned back after leaving Syrian camp; Government should consider changes to tobacco excise, experts say

February 16, 2026

Aussies lose to Sri Lanka at T20 World Cup

February 16, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 202597 Views

Man on warrant found hiding in a drain in NSW central west

October 23, 202542 Views

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 202539 Views
Don't Miss

Channing Tatum joins campaign calling Pam Bondi Trump’s Ghislaine Maxwell

By info@thewitness.com.auFebruary 16, 2026

Hollywood star Channing Tatum on Monday joined an online campaign against US Attorney General Pam…

Australian IS brides turned back after leaving Syrian camp; Government should consider changes to tobacco excise, experts say

February 16, 2026

Aussies lose to Sri Lanka at T20 World Cup

February 16, 2026

‘The Godfather’ star Robert Duvall breathes his last at 95

February 16, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
  • WhatsApp
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
Top Trending
Demo
Most Popular

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 202597 Views

Man on warrant found hiding in a drain in NSW central west

October 23, 202542 Views

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 202539 Views
Our Picks

Channing Tatum joins campaign calling Pam Bondi Trump’s Ghislaine Maxwell

February 16, 2026

Australian IS brides turned back after leaving Syrian camp; Government should consider changes to tobacco excise, experts say

February 16, 2026

Aussies lose to Sri Lanka at T20 World Cup

February 16, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
© 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.