Sydney FC youngster Tiago Quintal has declared Saturday night’s A-League grand final “just another game” as he tries to keep a lid on his excitement about playing in the competition decider.
Quintal’s Sky Blues face the tough test of getting the better of Auckland FC on New Zealand soil.
However, it’s a challenge the 19-year-old attacking midfielder – along with a host of other Sydney young guns – will relish at Go Media Stadium.
Set to also be part of Sydney’s starting team is winger Akon Akol, who turned 17 on Thursday, as well as midfielders Wataru Kamijo and Paul Okon-Engstler, who are 20 and 21 respectively.
“We’re all getting a good chance to play,” Quintal said.
“I can’t wait. I’m so excited. There are no nerves.
“The main thing for me is doing all the same things, the same schedule, doing all the right things, staying focused and just doing what I normally do.
“I don’t want to think about it too much. It’s just another game. I’ve got to keep that same mentality.”
It’s a “mentality” that has been drilled into the Sky Blues by coach Patrick Kisnorbo since he took charge of the team in March following the departure of Ufuk Talay.
It has led Sydney to being unbeaten in seven matches under Kisnorbo, who this week signed a new three-year deal with the five-time A-League champions.
“That what he’s been telling us from his very first game here. We’ve had the same attitude, the same mentality since he’s come in, so that’s what makes it easier as well,” Quintal said of the title-winning mentor.
“All the boys are very happy that he’s staying (beyond this season). It’s good news for him and for all us.
“He’s brought a lot of confidence in for the boys. The way he treats the players and they way he manages us on the field, but also off the field, it helps a lot with our performances.
“The way he’s got us set up tactically, it’s very clear what he wants from us, which makes it a lot easier.”
Okon-Engstler, who is on the verge of being selected in the Socceroos’ FIFA World Cup squad, echoed Quintal’s sentiments about Kisnorbo.
“It was a tough moment in the season when he came in, and he brought a lot of confidence into us – I think we needed it,” Okon-Engstler said.
“We’re happy as a group that he gets rewarded with a contract extension.”
Okon-Engstler also praised Sydney’s experienced players, include title-winning fullbacks Rhyan Grant and Ben Garuccio, for ensuring the squad’s younger brigade head into the decider full of confidence.
“For us young boys, having such experienced players that have been there and done that in our squad is just so important,” he said.
“They’ve been there in those types of moments. It’s good to have people like that in your squad to rely on and to be able to talk to.
“It’ll be the biggest moment of my career so far. I’m just trying to stay as calm as possible and just being true to myself.”