Close Menu
thewitness.com.au
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

‘The Godfather’ star Robert Duvall breathes his last at 95

February 16, 2026

Brothers abandoned during scuba diving trip say $20k fine not enough

February 16, 2026

Aliens are ‘real’, Obama says, as Washington shrugs

February 16, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
thewitness.com.au
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
thewitness.com.au
Home»Latest»World Vision aid worker says Hamas believed ‘lie’, documents are fake
Latest

World Vision aid worker says Hamas believed ‘lie’, documents are fake

info@thewitness.com.auBy info@thewitness.com.auFebruary 16, 2026No Comments6 Mins Read
World Vision aid worker says Hamas believed ‘lie’, documents are fake
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Threads Bluesky Copy Link


Rob Harris

February 17, 2026 — 4:45am

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

Save this article for later

Add articles to your saved list and come back to them anytime.

Key points

  • Mohammad al-Halabi claims Hamas believed “lies” that he stole $50 million, leading the group to investigate him and his prosecution in Israel.
  • The former World Vision director in Gaza maintains his innocence about diverting aid funds to Hamas, labelling declassified documents detailing Hamas’s internal probes as “pure fabrications”.
  • Israeli military intelligence suggests Hamas spied on the trial and interrogated staff.

Mohammad al-Halabi says even Hamas believed the “lie” that he had siphoned off millions in aid money, insisting the Palestinian militant group launched its own inquiries into his terror trial because it thought he had stolen funds it never received.

The former Gaza director of World Vision, jailed in 2022 for intentionally diverting large volumes of materials to assist Hamas with digging tunnels, has rejected as “pure fabrications” newly released documents that show the proscribed group terror spied on and interrogated the aid organisation staff to obstruct his prosecution in Israel.

World Vision’s former Gaza director Mohammed al-Halabi.Monique Westermann

Halabi, who has maintained his innocence, spent more than eight years in detention before he was freed last year in a hostage and prisoner exchange between Israel and Hamas. His lengthy trial drew worldwide condemnation from human rights groups because of its secrecy.

“Any investigations that were performed by Hamas were initiated because they believed the lie that I had taken $50 million of World Vision’s money – they believed I had stolen this money and that I hadn’t transferred to them anything – because of course they hadn’t received a single cent,” Halabi said in a statement.

When Halabi was arrested in 2016, World Vision was one of the Australian government’s largest aid partners in the Palestinian territories.

Related Article

Israeli-Palestinian conflict

Several reports, authored by Hamas’ Ministry of Interior and National Security, alleged Halabi used his senior role inside the international aid agency while secretly working for Hamas, and that the terror group treated his exposure as a major internal security failure.

The declassified material, published by this masthead last week, was captured by the Israel Defense Forces over the past two years and reviewed by NGO Monitor, a Jerusalem-based research centre. It detailed Hamas’ monitoring of the lengthy closed Israeli court proceedings over several years, attempts to identify suspected leakers and efforts to prevent potential witnesses from reaching Israel.

Halabi, who says he is now living in a tent in North Gaza, rejected that characterisation outright.

“There can be no doubt whatsoever that the documents presented to you are all false and pure fabrications,” he said.

He dismissed as “too absurd to comment on” claims that a Hamas human source attended closed court hearings in Israel.

“The closed sessions are called closed sessions because they are closed to the public. They were only attended by me, my lawyer, the prosecutors and the judges. Is it the claim that the Israeli judges were a Hamas human source or were the prosecutors supposed to be the human source?”

World Vision accountant Mohammed Mehdi, who was among those interrogated by Hamas, according to the disputed documents, allegedly acted as a whistleblower, alerting authorities that Halabi had diverted World Vision funds to Hamas over the course of several years.

Much of the evidence used to indict Halabi remains classified, as does the 254-page ruling by the Beersheba District Court. A condensed version released to the press upon his conviction in 2022 leaned heavily on Halabi’s confession to Shin Bet security agents. Halabi said he never confessed and even refused a plea deal.

According to the court ruling, Halabi was recruited by Hamas in 2004 and initially worked as a soldier for the terror group before eventually joining World Vision in 2005.

Previous releases of documents purported to be from Hamas – not about Halabi – have proved controversial after an IDF investigation found some files leaked to foreign media were forged to shape public opinion on Israel.

That probe raised concerns that classified material seized in Gaza – or documents only alleged to have been taken from Hamas — was being manipulated and fed to international outlets to influence debate, prompting anger within Israel’s security establishment.

The IDF confirmed to this masthead the legitimacy of the Halabi documents, which were later translated by NGO Monitor and checked independently by this masthead. Several attempts were made to verify them through Hamas’ legal representation in Australia and Europe.

NGO Monitor, which is privately funded, has attracted criticism over many years from international aid groups for defaming aid organisations by claiming they are influenced or controlled by Hamas or any other armed group.

It has also been alleged through its research about aid work in Gaza to only target human rights groups that criticise the Israeli occupation.

Halabi also said assertions that World Vision staff were unwilling to testify were “a blatant lie disproven by the facts”.

“The World Vision employees all wanted to attend the hearings and testify in court. In fact, even after the prosecutor said that a World Vision witness would be jailed if he came to testify in court, he continued to express his willingness to come. The Israeli authorities prevented their testimony,” he said.

After the 2022 conviction, World Vision Australia said it had “not seen anything” to make it question its conclusion that Halabi was innocent. It argued its Gaza programs were subject to regular audits and internal controls and that it had seen no credible evidence of aid diversion.

When asked about the documents, a Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade spokesman said it suspended funding for World Vision’s activities in the Palestinian Territories in August 2016. A review found “nothing to suggest any diversion of government funds”, but the review only covered information in its possession about the management of Australian funding.

Halabi said in his statement that Israeli authorities had failed to produce anything linking him to the group.

One of the documents from March 11, 2020, noted that “the aforementioned [Halabi] was in contact with very few parties of brothers” and described how authorities uncovered his involvement in the terror group.

“The fact that in spite of all the efforts and the fact that the above fabricated lies are ‘the best evidence that they have’ proves that I am an innocent victim of a malicious campaign to smear the INGOs. I paid the price of this campaign.”

NGO Monitor president Gerald Steinberg said aid organisations and governments that funded many of them had failed to ensure even minimal oversight or transparency.

Cut through the noise of federal politics with news, views and expert analysis. Subscribers can sign up to our weekly Inside Politics newsletter.

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

Rob HarrisRob Harris is the national correspondent for The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age based in Canberra. He is a former Europe correspondent.Connect via email.

From our partners

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest Bluesky Threads Tumblr Telegram Email
info@thewitness.com.au
  • Website

Related Posts

‘The Godfather’ star Robert Duvall breathes his last at 95

February 16, 2026

Brothers abandoned during scuba diving trip say $20k fine not enough

February 16, 2026

Aliens are ‘real’, Obama says, as Washington shrugs

February 16, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 202597 Views

Man on warrant found hiding in a drain in NSW central west

October 23, 202542 Views

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 202538 Views
Don't Miss

‘The Godfather’ star Robert Duvall breathes his last at 95

By info@thewitness.com.auFebruary 16, 2026

‘The Godfather’s star Robert Duvall breathes his last at 95Robert Duvall, The Godfather actor, has…

Brothers abandoned during scuba diving trip say $20k fine not enough

February 16, 2026

Aliens are ‘real’, Obama says, as Washington shrugs

February 16, 2026

Kate Hudson reveals her kids call Gwyneth Paltrow ‘auntie’

February 16, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
  • WhatsApp
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
Top Trending
Demo
Most Popular

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 202597 Views

Man on warrant found hiding in a drain in NSW central west

October 23, 202542 Views

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 202538 Views
Our Picks

‘The Godfather’ star Robert Duvall breathes his last at 95

February 16, 2026

Brothers abandoned during scuba diving trip say $20k fine not enough

February 16, 2026

Aliens are ‘real’, Obama says, as Washington shrugs

February 16, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
© 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.