Close Menu
thewitness.com.au
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

De Minaur wins Rotterdam title

February 15, 2026

Goldman Sachs lawyer Kathy Ruemmler to resign

February 15, 2026

Camila Mendes reveals how she prepared for her role in ‘Idiotka’

February 15, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
thewitness.com.au
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
thewitness.com.au
Home»International News»US may not govern day-to-day after Maduro ouster, despite Trump’s saying so
International News

US may not govern day-to-day after Maduro ouster, despite Trump’s saying so

info@thewitness.com.auBy info@thewitness.com.auJanuary 4, 2026No Comments6 Mins Read
US may not govern day-to-day after Maduro ouster, despite Trump’s saying so
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Threads Bluesky Copy Link


A large part of Maduro’s security team was killed in the US raid, Venezuelan Defence Minister General Vladimir Padrino said, adding that armed forces have been activated across the country to guarantee sovereignty.

Meanwhile, Rubio appeared on US TV talk shows to seemingly temper concerns about whether the striking action to achieve regime change in Venezuela might again produce a prolonged foreign intervention or failed attempt at nation-building.

Marco Rubio watches the operation unfold.

Marco Rubio watches the operation unfold.Credit: AP

His remarks stood in contrast to Trump’s broad but vague claims made earlier that the US would at least temporarily “run” the oil-rich nation, comments that suggested some sort of governing structure under which Caracas would be controlled by Washington.

Rubio offered a more nuanced take, saying the US would continue to enforce an oil quarantine on sanctioned tankers that was in place before Maduro was removed from power on Saturday and using that leverage as a means to press policy changes in Venezuela.

“And so that’s the sort of control the president is pointing to when he says that,” Rubio said on CBS’ Face the Nation.

“We continue with that quarantine, and we expect to see that there will be changes, not just in the way the oil industry is run for the benefit of the people, but also so that they stop the drug trafficking.”

The blockade on sanctioned oil tankers – some of which have been seized by the US – “remains in place, and that’s a tremendous amount of leverage that will continue to be in place until we see changes that not just further the national interest of the United States, which is No. 1, but also that lead to a better future for the people of Venezuela,” he added.

Trump repeated vow US would ‘run’ Venezuela

Trump’s vow to “run” Venezuela, repeated more than half a dozen times at a news conference in Florida on Saturday, sparked concerns among some Democrats.

It also drew unease from parts of his own Republican coalition, including an “America First” base that is opposed to foreign interventions, and also from observers who recalled past nation-building efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan.

A damaged apartment complex that neighbours say was hit during US strikes to capture Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro on Saturday.

A damaged apartment complex that neighbours say was hit during US strikes to capture Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro on Saturday.Credit: AP

Rubio dismissed such criticism, saying that Trump’s intent had been misunderstood by a “foreign policy establishment” that was fixated on the Middle East.

“The whole foreign policy apparatus thinks everything is Libya, everything is Iraq, everything is Afghanistan,” Rubio said. “This is not the Middle East. And our mission here is very different. This is the Western Hemisphere.”

Rubio also suggested that the US would give Maduro’s subordinates who are now in charge time to govern, saying, “We’re going to judge everything by what they do, and we’re going to see what they do.”

And though he did not rule out a US military presence in Venezuela, Rubio said the current US “force posture” was capable of stopping drug boats and sanctioned tankers.

A soldier stands atop an armoured vehicle driving towards Caracas on Sunday.

A soldier stands atop an armoured vehicle driving towards Caracas on Sunday.Credit: AP

A day earlier, Trump told reporters, “We’re going to run the country until such time as we can do a safe, proper and judicious transition.”

He later pointed to his national security team with him, including Rubio and Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth, and said it would be done for a period of time by “the people that are standing right behind me. We’re gonna be running it we’re gonna be bringing it back.”

The White House declined to comment beyond what Trump said on Saturday.

Maduro’s arrival

Maduro landed late on Saturday afternoon (Sunday AEDT) at a small airport in New York City’s northern suburbs following the middle-of-the-night operation that extracted him and his wife, Cilia Flores, from their home in a military base in Caracas – an act that Maduro’s government called “imperialist”. The couple faces US charges of participating in a narco-terrorism conspiracy.

Nicolas Maduro being “perp walked” by Drug Enforcement Administration officers in New York.

Nicolas Maduro being “perp walked” by Drug Enforcement Administration officers in New York.Credit: X@PaulDMauro

The dramatic seizure of the Maduros capped an intensive Trump administration pressure campaign on Venezuela’s autocratic leader and months of secret planning, resulting in the most assertive American action to achieve regime change since the 2003 invasion of Iraq. Legal experts raised questions about the lawfulness of the operation, which was done without congressional approval.

After arriving at the airport, Maduro was flown by helicopter to Manhattan, where a convoy of law enforcement vehicles, including an armoured car, was waiting to whisk him to a nearby US Drug Enforcement Administration office.

Loading

A video posted on social media by a White House account showed Maduro, smiling, as he was escorted through that office by two DEA agents grasping his arms.

He is due to make his first appearance in Manhattan’s federal court on Monday.

Maduro and other Venezuelan officials were indicted in 2020 on narco-terrorism conspiracy charges, and the Justice Department released a new indictment on Saturday of Maduro and his wife that painted his administration as a “corrupt, illegitimate government” fuelled by a drug-trafficking operation that flooded the US with cocaine. The US government does not recognise Maduro as the country’s leader.

The Trump administration spent months building up American forces in the region and carrying out attacks on boats in the Caribbean Sea and eastern Pacific Ocean for allegedly ferrying drugs. Last week, the CIA was behind a drone strike at a docking area believed to have been used by Venezuelan drug cartels – the first known direct operation on Venezuelan soil since the US campaign began in September.

Quiet falls in Venezuela after US operation

Venezuela’s capital remained unusually quiet on Sunday, with few vehicles moving around and convenience stores, petrol stations and other businesses closed. A road typically filled with runners, cyclists and other fitness enthusiasts on Sundays only had a handful of people working out the day after Maduro was deposed.

A supporter of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro stands on a median strip waving a national flag in Caracas on Saturday.

A supporter of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro stands on a median strip waving a national flag in Caracas on Saturday.Credit: AP

The presidential palace was guarded by armed civilians and members of the military. At a nearby plaza, only a street sweeper and a soldier stood, and across the street, a church remained close for a second day in a row.

Loading

Caracas resident David Leal arrived to the car park where he works only to quickly realise that he would likely not see any clients for a second day.

“People are still shaken,” Leal said.

AP, Reuters

Get a note directly from our foreign correspondents on what’s making headlines around the world. Sign up for our weekly What in the World newsletter.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest Bluesky Threads Tumblr Telegram Email
info@thewitness.com.au
  • Website

Related Posts

De Minaur wins Rotterdam title

February 15, 2026

Goldman Sachs lawyer Kathy Ruemmler to resign

February 15, 2026

Camila Mendes reveals how she prepared for her role in ‘Idiotka’

February 15, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 202597 Views

Man on warrant found hiding in a drain in NSW central west

October 23, 202542 Views

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 202538 Views
Don't Miss

De Minaur wins Rotterdam title

By info@thewitness.com.auFebruary 15, 2026

Aussie tennis star Alex de Minaur wins the Rotterdam title after previously losing the final…

Goldman Sachs lawyer Kathy Ruemmler to resign

February 15, 2026

Camila Mendes reveals how she prepared for her role in ‘Idiotka’

February 15, 2026

Popular support for One Nation surges, draws level with Coalition; Shift in US naval strategy signals progress for AUKUS submarines

February 15, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
  • WhatsApp
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
Top Trending
Demo
Most Popular

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 202597 Views

Man on warrant found hiding in a drain in NSW central west

October 23, 202542 Views

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 202538 Views
Our Picks

De Minaur wins Rotterdam title

February 15, 2026

Goldman Sachs lawyer Kathy Ruemmler to resign

February 15, 2026

Camila Mendes reveals how she prepared for her role in ‘Idiotka’

February 15, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
© 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.