Close Menu
thewitness.com.au
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

De Minaur wins Rotterdam title

February 15, 2026

Goldman Sachs lawyer Kathy Ruemmler to resign

February 15, 2026

Camila Mendes reveals how she prepared for her role in ‘Idiotka’

February 15, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
thewitness.com.au
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
thewitness.com.au
Home»International News»Sparklers on champagne bottles likely cause of deadly fire at ski resort bar at Crans-Montana on New Year’s Day
International News

Sparklers on champagne bottles likely cause of deadly fire at ski resort bar at Crans-Montana on New Year’s Day

info@thewitness.com.auBy info@thewitness.com.auJanuary 2, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
Sparklers on champagne bottles likely cause of deadly fire at ski resort bar at Crans-Montana on New Year’s Day
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Threads Bluesky Copy Link



One local told this masthead that Le Constellation was known as a bar that would allow young teenagers to buy drinks. Under Swiss law the age limit for the purchase of wine and beer is 16 years, and 18 years for high-proof alcohol.

Loading

Authorities said 115 people were injured in the blaze and many of them had been sent to burns units in hospitals throughout Switzerland as well as in Italy, France and Germany.

The injured included 71 Swiss nationals, 14 French and 11 Italians, along with citizens of Serbia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Luxembourg, Belgium, Portugal and Poland, according to Frédéric Gisler, police commander of the Valais region. The nationalities of 14 people were still unclear.

The Australian government has confirmed that one Australian was injured in the fire but have not disclosed anything further, other than that their family is receiving consular assistance.

The first victim has been named as Emanuele Galeppini, 17, an Italian golfer. His uncle Sebastiano Galeppini told Italian news agency ANSA that their family is awaiting the DNA checks, but the Italian Golf Federation announced that he had died.

Among those injured is French footballer Tahirys Dos Santos, 19, who was severely burned in the fire, according to his football club, FC Mertz.

Eric Bonvin, the general director of the regional hospital in Sion, a Swiss town near Crans-Montana, told The Associated Press that 55 seriously injured victims were taken to the hospital soon after the fire.

Bonvin said the injured were teenagers and young adults, roughly 20 years old on average,

Loading

“There were inhalations of both smoke and also of heat that for some probably led to internal burns. That’s a really catastrophic situation, as you can imagine,” he said.

By Friday afternoon, most had been transferred to other hospitals, while others had been discharged, Bonvin said.

With Reuters, AP

Get a note directly from our foreign correspondents on what’s making headlines around the world. Sign up for our weekly What in the World newsletter.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest Bluesky Threads Tumblr Telegram Email
info@thewitness.com.au
  • Website

Related Posts

De Minaur wins Rotterdam title

February 15, 2026

Goldman Sachs lawyer Kathy Ruemmler to resign

February 15, 2026

Camila Mendes reveals how she prepared for her role in ‘Idiotka’

February 15, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 202597 Views

Man on warrant found hiding in a drain in NSW central west

October 23, 202542 Views

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 202538 Views
Don't Miss

De Minaur wins Rotterdam title

By info@thewitness.com.auFebruary 15, 2026

Aussie tennis star Alex de Minaur wins the Rotterdam title after previously losing the final…

Goldman Sachs lawyer Kathy Ruemmler to resign

February 15, 2026

Camila Mendes reveals how she prepared for her role in ‘Idiotka’

February 15, 2026

Popular support for One Nation surges, draws level with Coalition; Shift in US naval strategy signals progress for AUKUS submarines

February 15, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
  • WhatsApp
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
Top Trending
Demo
Most Popular

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 202597 Views

Man on warrant found hiding in a drain in NSW central west

October 23, 202542 Views

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 202538 Views
Our Picks

De Minaur wins Rotterdam title

February 15, 2026

Goldman Sachs lawyer Kathy Ruemmler to resign

February 15, 2026

Camila Mendes reveals how she prepared for her role in ‘Idiotka’

February 15, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
© 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.