Close Menu
thewitness.com.au
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

Gunshots heard near White House

May 24, 2026

Russia uses hypersonic Oreshnik missile in mass attack on Kyiv

May 24, 2026

South Korea’s Bae Kyung-hoon calls for public share in ‘AI wealth’ amid Samsung labor dispute

May 24, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
thewitness.com.au
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
thewitness.com.au
Home»Latest»Russia hits Ukraine with deadly drone attack
Latest

Russia hits Ukraine with deadly drone attack

info@thewitness.com.auBy info@thewitness.com.auMay 24, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
Russia hits Ukraine with deadly drone attack
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Threads Bluesky Copy Link


Russia pounded Kyiv with a large missile and drone attack early on Sunday, killing one person and wounding 20, authorities said, after Moscow threatened retaliation for strikes in Russian-occupied eastern Ukraine.

Multiple rounds of loud explosions were heard in the Ukrainian capital throughout the early hours of the morning, according to AFP journalists.

Zelensky says massive Ukraine attack 'entirely justified'

“Tonight Kyiv region is once again enduring a mass enemy attack with strike drones, cruise missiles and ballistic missiles,” said Mykola Kalashnyk, the head of the regional ministry administration.

The blasts caused a residential building near the government district to shake, while dozens of people took shelter in an underground metro station in the city centre.

Residents were instructed to stay in shelters as city authorities warned fires had broken out and city military administrationhead Tymur Tkachenko said one person had been killed and at least 20 wounded.

Ukrainian authorities and the US embassy had earlier warned of a possible significant attack on Kyiv after Russia said it would “punish” those responsible for deadly strikes in a part of eastern Ukraine under its control.

“The capital has come under a mass ballistic missile attack,” Tkachenko wrote on Telegram early on Sunday.

He later said the air raid alert had been lifted.

Mayor Vitali Klitschko said damage had been recorded in every district of Kyiv, adding that a strike on a school had sparkeda fire, and another on a business centre had led to people being trapped in a shelter.

Missile attack warning

Ukraine had been expecting a major attack after its own forces launched a drone barrage in the Russian-occupied east of the country, which Moscow said hit a college dormitory and killed at least 18 people.

Launched overnight on Thursday to Friday, the drone salvo – one of Ukraine’s deadliest such strikes in months – also wounded 42 in Starobilsk, in the occupied Lugansk region, trapping people beneath the debris.

Ukraine denied targeting civilians, saying it had hit a Russian drone unit stationed in the Starobilsk area.

Russia’s foreign ministry said on Friday that those responsible would face “inevitable and severe punishment”.

On Saturday, President Volodymyr Zelensky warned that Ukraine was “seeing signs of preparation for a combined strike on Ukrainian territory, including Kyiv”.

He said on social media that Moscow may deploy “various types of weaponry” including the nuclear-capable Oreshnik hypersonicmissile.

There were no initial reports that an Oreshnik had been used.

Similarly, the US embassy said it had “received information concerning a potentially significant air attack that may occurat any time over the next 24 hours”.

Ukraine regularly targets Russian-controlled areas of the country with drones, saying the strikes are retaliation for Russian attacks.

Dormitory death toll

Russia’s emergency ministry said on Saturday it had pulled two more bodies from the rubble of the dormitory, taking the death toll to 18.

Video shared by the ministry showed dozens of rescuers sifting through what remained of a section of the five-storey building.

Most of those killed and missing were young women born between 2003 and 2008, according to a list of casualties published by the Moscow-backed governor of occupied Lugansk, Leonid Pasechnik.

“The region and the entire country share the fate of these people and the pain of their families,” he said on Telegram.

The United Nations said on Friday it “strongly condemns any attacks against civilians and civilian infrastructure, wherever they occur”, adding it could not verify details due to restricted access to the area.

Starobilsk lies about 65 kilometres from the front line in eastern Ukraine.

It was captured by Russian forces in the early months of the offensive in 2022.

Kyiv has recently expanded its drone capabilities and stepped up strikes on undisputed Russian territory, including residential areas and oil export infrastructure.

Moscow has launched mass barrages of missiles and drones at Ukraine almost daily since the full-scale offensive began in 2022, also hitting infrastructure and causing civilian deaths. It denies targeting civilians.

US-led efforts to negotiate an end to more than four years of war have slowed in recent months with Washington’s attention diverted towards its conflict in the Middle East

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest Bluesky Threads Tumblr Telegram Email
info@thewitness.com.au
  • Website

Related Posts

Gunshots heard near White House

May 24, 2026

Russia uses hypersonic Oreshnik missile in mass attack on Kyiv

May 24, 2026

South Korea’s Bae Kyung-hoon calls for public share in ‘AI wealth’ amid Samsung labor dispute

May 24, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 2025225 Views

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 2025153 Views

Wife of Australian Community Media boss responds to husband’s assault charges

March 15, 2026115 Views
Don't Miss

Gunshots heard near White House

By info@thewitness.com.auMay 24, 2026

Law enforcement is responding after apparent gunshots were heard near the White House.

Russia uses hypersonic Oreshnik missile in mass attack on Kyiv

May 24, 2026

South Korea’s Bae Kyung-hoon calls for public share in ‘AI wealth’ amid Samsung labor dispute

May 24, 2026

Fears for Elliott as he heads to the sheds

May 24, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
  • WhatsApp
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
Top Trending
Demo
Most Popular

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 2025225 Views

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 2025153 Views

Wife of Australian Community Media boss responds to husband’s assault charges

March 15, 2026115 Views
Our Picks

Gunshots heard near White House

May 24, 2026

Russia uses hypersonic Oreshnik missile in mass attack on Kyiv

May 24, 2026

South Korea’s Bae Kyung-hoon calls for public share in ‘AI wealth’ amid Samsung labor dispute

May 24, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
© 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.