Updated ,first published

Washington: The White House was placed into lockdown after a series of gunshots rang out near the premises, forcing reporters on the front lawn to duck for cover and the Secret Service to secure the property.

The Secret Service confirmed officers shot a man near the White House grounds after he approached a checkpoint, “pulled a weapon from his bag and began firing”.

US media outlets identified the suspect as 21-year-old Nasire Best, a Washington local who had previous encounters with law enforcement and exhibited mental health issues.

He was taken to hospital and later died, the Secret Service said, and a bystander was also shot. It was not known whether they were struck by the shooter’s initial gunfire or during the subsequent exchange.

Reuters reported the suspect had been identified as an emotionally disturbed person and that they had been issued with a “stay-away ​order” previously, citing a law enforcement official.

Members of the media clear the North Lawn following reports of gunfire near the White House.Bloomberg via Getty Images

The incident occurred just after 6pm Saturday (Washington time), while President Donald Trump and other senior officials were inside the building, dealing with the unfolding situation in Iran.

He was not impacted by the incident, the Secret Service said, and nor were any other protectees or White House operations.

Dramatic video showed ABC News America reporter Selina Wang ducking for cover on the North Lawn of the White House as several loud bangs rang out while she was on air.

A member of the Secret Service guards the door of the press briefing room at the White House.AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana
The incident occurred near the White House at the corner of Pennsylvania Avenue and 17th Street.AP Photo/Alex Brandon
The Secret Service confirmed officers shot a man near the White House grounds after he approached a checkpoint and started shooting at police officers.Bloomberg

Journalists were held inside the press briefing room during the lockdown, with Secret Service patrolling the grounds outside. The lockdown was later lifted when the urgent threat subsided.

Washington police said the Secret Service was handling an incident at the intersection of Pennsylvania Avenue and 17th Street, which is in the north-west corner of the White House precinct, beside the Eisenhower Executive Office Building.

Members of the US Secret Service tend to a wounded man at the scene of the shooting.Roberto Schmidt / Getty Images
The suspect was shot dead and a second person believed to be a bystander is in a critical condition.Getty Images

FBI director Kash Patel said the bureau was on the scene supporting the Secret Service and would provide updates later.

Trump thanked the police and Secret Service for neutralising the gunman, whom he said had a violent history and “possible obsession with our country’s most cherished structure”.

He said the incident once again demonstrated the need to build “the most safe and secure space of its kind ever built in Washington”, an apparent reference to his White House ballroom.

The incident comes only weeks after a gunman allegedly targeted Trump and other administration officials at the White House Correspondents Association’s annual dinner at the Hilton Hotel in Washington.

Secret Service agents were also involved in an armed confrontation with a man near the White House grounds earlier this month.

Kris Brown, the president of Brady, an anti-gun violence lobby group, said Americans must acknowledge that unceasing gun violence around the country and in Washington was unique to the US among industrialised nations.

“As we await more information about the shooter and where they obtained their firearm, this is yet another reminder that preventing gun violence and political violence should be a universal goal for all our elected leaders,” she said.

Get a note directly from our foreign correspondents on what’s making headlines around the world. Sign up for our weekly What in the World newsletter.

Michael Koziol is the North America correspondent for The Age and Sydney Morning Herald. He is a former Sydney editor, Sun-Herald deputy editor and a federal political reporter in Canberra.Connect via X or email.

From our partners

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version