Close Menu
thewitness.com.au
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

Cruz Beckham targeted as Brooklyn gets support from Meghan’s fanbase

February 16, 2026

Sheriff says investigators still finding suspects’ intentions in Nancy Guthrie’s abduction

February 16, 2026

Inside the new USA vs World tournament format

February 16, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
thewitness.com.au
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
thewitness.com.au
Home»International News»Federal prosecutors quit in protest over investigation into fatal ICE shooting
International News

Federal prosecutors quit in protest over investigation into fatal ICE shooting

info@thewitness.com.auBy info@thewitness.com.auJanuary 14, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
Federal prosecutors quit in protest over investigation into fatal ICE shooting
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Threads Bluesky Copy Link


Loading

Federal officials have said that the officer who shot Good acted in self-defence and that she was engaging in “an act of domestic terrorism” when she pulled her car forward towards him, a claim state officials disputed.

The quick pronouncement by administration officials before any meaningful investigation could be completed has raised concerns about the federal government’s determination to conduct a thorough review of the chain of events precipitating the shooting.

People rally in New York to demand an end to immigration deployments after the fatal shooting of Renee Good.

People rally in New York to demand an end to immigration deployments after the fatal shooting of Renee Good.Credit: Getty Images

Minnesota officials have also raised alarm after federal officials blocked state investigators from accessing evidence and declared that Minnesota has no jurisdiction to investigate the killing.

The departures also prompted renewed concern about the federal investigation into the shooting, which has prompted protests nationwide and drawn renewed scrutiny of the Trump administration’s sweeping immigration crackdown in US cities.

Loading

The Minnesota inquiry was only one factor in the decision of the civil rights lawyers to leave the department. The prosecutors, veteran lawyers who had served across presidential administrations, had grown disillusioned with the direction of the division, whose priorities had been reshaped to align with Trump, according to the sources.

A Justice Department official confirmed the departures. Several of the civil rights prosecutors accepted an early retirement offer from the Trump administration, some of the sources said. The department official said the lawyers had asked to take part in the early retirement program well before the Minnesota shooting.

The resignations are the latest sign of tumult in the Justice Department under Trump, which has fired and expelled dozens of career officials and pursued investigations of Trump’s perceived political enemies.

Hennepin County attorney Mary Moriarty, the chief state prosecutor in Minneapolis, said on the departures at the Justice Department were an indication that career prosecutors were “not being allowed to do their job”.

“And that’s because of politics, not because of what actually happened here,” Moriarty said.

Reuters, AP

Get a note directly from our foreign correspondents on what’s making headlines around the world. Sign up for our weekly What in the World newsletter.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest Bluesky Threads Tumblr Telegram Email
info@thewitness.com.au
  • Website

Related Posts

Cruz Beckham targeted as Brooklyn gets support from Meghan’s fanbase

February 16, 2026

Sheriff says investigators still finding suspects’ intentions in Nancy Guthrie’s abduction

February 16, 2026

Inside the new USA vs World tournament format

February 16, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 202597 Views

Man on warrant found hiding in a drain in NSW central west

October 23, 202542 Views

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 202538 Views
Don't Miss

Cruz Beckham targeted as Brooklyn gets support from Meghan’s fanbase

By info@thewitness.com.auFebruary 16, 2026

Brooklyn Beckham seems to have found unexpected allies in the US after his recent dispute…

Sheriff says investigators still finding suspects’ intentions in Nancy Guthrie’s abduction

February 16, 2026

Inside the new USA vs World tournament format

February 16, 2026

Canada stays unbeaten with dominant win over France

February 16, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
  • WhatsApp
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
Top Trending
Demo
Most Popular

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 202597 Views

Man on warrant found hiding in a drain in NSW central west

October 23, 202542 Views

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 202538 Views
Our Picks

Cruz Beckham targeted as Brooklyn gets support from Meghan’s fanbase

February 16, 2026

Sheriff says investigators still finding suspects’ intentions in Nancy Guthrie’s abduction

February 16, 2026

Inside the new USA vs World tournament format

February 16, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
© 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.