Close Menu
thewitness.com.au
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

Cruz Beckham targeted as Brooklyn gets support from Meghan’s fanbase

February 16, 2026

Sheriff says investigators still finding suspects’ intentions in Nancy Guthrie’s abduction

February 16, 2026

Inside the new USA vs World tournament format

February 16, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
thewitness.com.au
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
thewitness.com.au
Home»Latest»Calling 000 but don’t need an ambulance? Your call may end up here
Latest

Calling 000 but don’t need an ambulance? Your call may end up here

info@thewitness.com.auBy info@thewitness.com.auFebruary 16, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
Calling 000 but don’t need an ambulance? Your call may end up here
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Threads Bluesky Copy Link


Courtney Kruk

February 17, 2026 — 1:00am

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

Save this article for later

Add articles to your saved list and come back to them anytime.

Nearly half of all triple-zero calls for an ambulance do not require an emergency response, staff say, as an expanded team of operators moves into new offices on Brisbane’s northside.

About 3800 calls are made to Triple Zero each day, with about 1800 diverted to the Queensland Ambulance Service Clinical Hub, housed at the Emergency Services Complex in Kedron.

The upgrade of the hub, which will be unveiled by the Queensland government on Tuesday, more than doubles its capacity, amid a push to prevent unnecessary hospital trips and ease pressure on crowded emergency departments.

The $8.31 million expansion of the Queensland Ambulance Service Clinical Hub was completed this week. Queensland Ambulance Service

The initiative launched in 2020 to help hospitals and first responders deal with the influx of patients during the COVID-19 pandemic.

It provided care or advice to more than 33,000 Queenslanders between July and December last year.

Related Article

Mackay MP Nigel Dalton.

Director Sam Herring said it was initially staffed by a small team working just 16 hours a day.

It now employs more than 140 staff, including senior paramedics, doctors, nurses, mental health clinicians and allied health staff, and offers around-the-clock care to patients across the state.

The QAS said it received a Triple Zero call every 24 seconds – adding up to more than 335,000 calls in the last three months of last year.

Herring said those that do not need an ambulance can be helped by the clinical hub or another referral service instead.

“[Our team] might undertake further investigation, [for example a] video or telehealth over the phone, to ascertain more about what’s going on for the patient,” she said.

The Clinical Service hub fields around 1800 of the 3800 calls to triple zero across the state each day. Queensland Ambulance Service

“Sometimes the emergency department is not the best, or most timely, place to present … and maybe we can get better care for people that’s more tailored to them in a way that already exists in community.”

Recent analysis of public hospital performance data found a 4.5 per cent increase in demand for emergency department services across the state in the past five years.

While the number of emergency presentations had steadied, less than half of patients were treated in under four hours.

Related Article

Just 56.9 per cent of Queensland ambulance transfers fell within the 30-minute target time between July to September this year.

This affected ambulance ramping rates, with 41 per cent of patients ramped for longer than the recommended time in 26 of the state’s public hospitals.

On Sunday, the Crisafulli government released new figures to claim ramping had reached a five-year low in the last quarter of 2025, though it was still behind a target of 30 per cent.

The director of integrated multidisciplinary care programs, Sandra Garner, said the hub at Kedron was about “providing the right care at the right time”.

“If we understand a person’s needs really thoroughly, we can navigate them to oftentimes more appropriate care,” she said.

The hub’s expansion, which cost $8.31 million, was completed this week. Herring said the milestone showed how essential the service has become.

“It went from a one size fits all approach – if I call triple zero, I get two people in a vehicle on my front door. A lot of the time that will still occur, but [now we look at] what the patient actually needs.”

Start the day with a summary of the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter.

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

From our partners

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest Bluesky Threads Tumblr Telegram Email
info@thewitness.com.au
  • Website

Related Posts

Cruz Beckham targeted as Brooklyn gets support from Meghan’s fanbase

February 16, 2026

Sheriff says investigators still finding suspects’ intentions in Nancy Guthrie’s abduction

February 16, 2026

Inside the new USA vs World tournament format

February 16, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 202597 Views

Man on warrant found hiding in a drain in NSW central west

October 23, 202542 Views

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 202538 Views
Don't Miss

Cruz Beckham targeted as Brooklyn gets support from Meghan’s fanbase

By info@thewitness.com.auFebruary 16, 2026

Brooklyn Beckham seems to have found unexpected allies in the US after his recent dispute…

Sheriff says investigators still finding suspects’ intentions in Nancy Guthrie’s abduction

February 16, 2026

Inside the new USA vs World tournament format

February 16, 2026

Canada stays unbeaten with dominant win over France

February 16, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
  • WhatsApp
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
Top Trending
Demo
Most Popular

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 202597 Views

Man on warrant found hiding in a drain in NSW central west

October 23, 202542 Views

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 202538 Views
Our Picks

Cruz Beckham targeted as Brooklyn gets support from Meghan’s fanbase

February 16, 2026

Sheriff says investigators still finding suspects’ intentions in Nancy Guthrie’s abduction

February 16, 2026

Inside the new USA vs World tournament format

February 16, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
© 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.