Close Menu
thewitness.com.au
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

‘The Godfather’ star Robert Duvall breathes his last at 95

February 16, 2026

Brothers abandoned during scuba diving trip say $20k fine not enough

February 16, 2026

Aliens are ‘real’, Obama says, as Washington shrugs

February 16, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
thewitness.com.au
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
thewitness.com.au
Home»Latest»Australia on brink of elimination after Sri Lanka win by eight wickets
Latest

Australia on brink of elimination after Sri Lanka win by eight wickets

info@thewitness.com.auBy info@thewitness.com.auFebruary 16, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
Australia on brink of elimination after Sri Lanka win by eight wickets
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Threads Bluesky Copy Link


Marsh, playing his first match of the tournament after suffering a testicular injury, highlighted the top order verve Australia have been missing with eight fours and a six.

Head had made 50 runs combined in his past four innings, but he reached that landmark in 27 balls with a brutal display of hitting, posting seven fours and three sixes.

With the pair rampant Australia, who had been put in to bat, were 0-70 at the end of the six-over power play with Marsh hitting the final five balls, bowled by the dangerous Maheesh Theekshana, to the boundary.

But in mid-innings the spinners changed the game. After Head was caught on the boundary for a 29-ball 56 wickets tumbled and the rate slowed.

From 0-104 Australia slumped to 4-130 with Marsh among them, lbw on review for a 27-ball 54.

Head’s exit had brought in Green, but he was quickly stumped. With scores of 21, 0 and 3 in the competition he was a contentious selection given the arrival of Steve Smith and the good form of Matt Renshaw. The Queensland batter made way for Marsh despite being top scorer with 65 in the shock loss to Zimbabwe that had put Australia under pressure to win this match.

Sri Lanka beat Australia by eight wickets.

Sri Lanka beat Australia by eight wickets.Credit: Getty Images

Tim David (six) was also caught in the deep and it could have been worse. Josh Inglis, who was the third best score with 27, should have been stumped first ball.

His eventual departure, after Glenn Maxwell (22) had been superbly caught by Nissanka reverse sweeping, prompted another clatter of wickets, the last five going down for seven runs in 12 balls.

It still looked a testing target and Australia made an early inroad when Stoinis had Perera caught at deep point. But Nissanka and Kusal Mendis then added 97 off 66 balls to keep the match in the balance.

Loading

It took the return of Stoinis to break the partnership, Mendis being caught by Connolly at deep mid-wicket for a 38-ball 51.

But that was as good as it got for Stoinis. The new batter, Pavan Rathnayake, carted his first two balls for four and 20 were taken of Stoinis’ next over, the 15th.

That brought the target down to 41 off five overs. Sri Lanka only needed three taking 10, 18 and 15 off them with Nissanka completing a majestic century off what proved the penultimate delivery.

More to come

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest Bluesky Threads Tumblr Telegram Email
info@thewitness.com.au
  • Website

Related Posts

‘The Godfather’ star Robert Duvall breathes his last at 95

February 16, 2026

Brothers abandoned during scuba diving trip say $20k fine not enough

February 16, 2026

Aliens are ‘real’, Obama says, as Washington shrugs

February 16, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 202597 Views

Man on warrant found hiding in a drain in NSW central west

October 23, 202542 Views

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 202538 Views
Don't Miss

‘The Godfather’ star Robert Duvall breathes his last at 95

By info@thewitness.com.auFebruary 16, 2026

‘The Godfather’s star Robert Duvall breathes his last at 95Robert Duvall, The Godfather actor, has…

Brothers abandoned during scuba diving trip say $20k fine not enough

February 16, 2026

Aliens are ‘real’, Obama says, as Washington shrugs

February 16, 2026

Kate Hudson reveals her kids call Gwyneth Paltrow ‘auntie’

February 16, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
  • WhatsApp
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
Top Trending
Demo
Most Popular

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 202597 Views

Man on warrant found hiding in a drain in NSW central west

October 23, 202542 Views

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 202538 Views
Our Picks

‘The Godfather’ star Robert Duvall breathes his last at 95

February 16, 2026

Brothers abandoned during scuba diving trip say $20k fine not enough

February 16, 2026

Aliens are ‘real’, Obama says, as Washington shrugs

February 16, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
© 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.