Close Menu
thewitness.com.au
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

Superquiz: Tuesday, February 17, 2026

February 16, 2026

Kim Kardashian ‘smitten’ with Lewis Hamilton as couple talks parenthood

February 16, 2026

Gold Coast Titans NRL star AJ Brimson reacts to State of Origin changes

February 16, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
thewitness.com.au
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
thewitness.com.au
Home»Business & Economy»Apple update leaves users unable to make calls, including to Triple Zero
Business & Economy

Apple update leaves users unable to make calls, including to Triple Zero

info@thewitness.com.auBy info@thewitness.com.auJanuary 28, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Apple update leaves users unable to make calls, including to Triple Zero
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Threads Bluesky Copy Link


January 28, 2026 — 7:00pm

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

Save this article for later

Add articles to your saved list and come back to them anytime.

At least three iPhone models have been left unable to take or make phone calls on the Telstra network after receiving an Apple software update intended to ensure more than a dozen iPhone models can contact Triple Zero when their primary network is unavailable.

Apple issued the software update to the iPhone 12 and other older models on January 26, but iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X users soon began reporting connection issues.

The iPhone X, which has been affected by the issue, was released in 2017.Michael Nagle

Telstra confirmed on Wednesday afternoon that it was investigating an issue with making and receiving calls on the devices, including to Triple Zero.

“We’re working on this as a priority with Apple and will share updates as we have them,” the company said on its website. “We recommend customers using these devices delay updating the software on their device until we confirm the issue is resolved.”

Telstra also said on Wednesday evening that Apple had paused the software update while it was investigating.

The reliability of Triple Zero services has come under scrutiny since a major outage at Optus last year was linked to three deaths, which are under coronial investigation. In that incident, many phones that should have connected to another network to reach Triple Zero when Optus’ service failed were unable to switch, and similar failures separately affected older Samsung phones last year.

The Apple update this month was intended to stop that type of problem happening in other situations to users of its phones.

“In the rare event that these exceptional circumstances affecting mobile operators’ networks were to happen again, some older mobile phones might still encounter the same issue reaching emergency services through an alternate available network,” the company said in a post on its website.

“Software updates are available for the following iPhone and Apple Watch models that might be impacted by this network issue. You are encouraged to update your devices to the latest software version.”

Related Article

TPG Telecom chief executive Inaki Berroeta.

Apple was contacted for comment.

One user posted on Reddit that the update had left their phone “being near useless”.

“Even after trying all of the troubleshooting and calling my carrier, I found that I was only able to connect to Wi-Fi,” the social media user said. “No calls, no SMS, no data. My phone can only be used on Wi-Fi.”

“And to top it off, it’s even killed the ability to call 000 – the entire reason the update was released in the first place.”

An Optus spokeswoman said: “It’s not affecting Optus.” A spokesman for TPG, which also operates the Vodafone brand, said: “Our testing on these Apple devices and software update has not indicated any issues on our network at this stage.”

More to come

The Business Briefing newsletter delivers major stories, exclusive coverage and expert opinion. Sign up to get it every weekday morning.

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

Nick BonyhadyNick Bonyhady is the business editor of The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age. He is a former deputy federal editor, technology editor and industrial relations reporter.Connect via X or email.
Elias VisontayElias Visontay is a National Consumer Affairs Reporter at The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age.Connect via email.

From our partners

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest Bluesky Threads Tumblr Telegram Email
info@thewitness.com.au
  • Website

Related Posts

Superquiz: Tuesday, February 17, 2026

February 16, 2026

Kim Kardashian ‘smitten’ with Lewis Hamilton as couple talks parenthood

February 16, 2026

Gold Coast Titans NRL star AJ Brimson reacts to State of Origin changes

February 16, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 202597 Views

Man on warrant found hiding in a drain in NSW central west

October 23, 202542 Views

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 202538 Views
Don't Miss

Superquiz: Tuesday, February 17, 2026

By info@thewitness.com.auFebruary 16, 2026

February 16, 2026 — 11:59pmSaveYou have reached your maximum number of saved items.Remove items from…

Kim Kardashian ‘smitten’ with Lewis Hamilton as couple talks parenthood

February 16, 2026

Gold Coast Titans NRL star AJ Brimson reacts to State of Origin changes

February 16, 2026

Patriot uncorks 31M ounce Peruvian silver-equivalent resource

February 16, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
  • WhatsApp
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
Top Trending
Demo
Most Popular

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 202597 Views

Man on warrant found hiding in a drain in NSW central west

October 23, 202542 Views

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 202538 Views
Our Picks

Superquiz: Tuesday, February 17, 2026

February 16, 2026

Kim Kardashian ‘smitten’ with Lewis Hamilton as couple talks parenthood

February 16, 2026

Gold Coast Titans NRL star AJ Brimson reacts to State of Origin changes

February 16, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
© 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.