A man has died following a horror shark attack in Far North Queensland.
The 39-year-old was rushed by boat to the Hull River Heads boat ramp near Tully Heads — about 120km south of Cairns — where paramedics were waiting from him around 12pm on Sunday.
However, he died from his injuries soon after.
A police spokesperson said the man had been attacked by a shark while out at Kennedy Shoal.
“The man was retrieved from the water and died from his injuries,” the spokesperson said.
A Queensland Ambulance spokesperson earlier said paramedics had been called ahead to meet the injured man at the ramp.
“One male patient in his 30s is being assessed in a life-threatening condition at the Hull River Heads Boat Ramp following a reported shark attack at 12.03pm,” the spokesperson said earlier.
The fatal attack comes just a week after father of two Steven ‘Mattas’ Mattaboni was killed by a great white shark near Rottnest Island off the Western Australia coast.
Mr Mattaboni, 38, was out with friends when the shark bit him on the leg on May 16.
His friends were spotted consoling each other shortly afterwards, having witnessed the entire attack before retrieving his body from the water and performing CPR.
Mr Mattaboni’s wife, Shirene, described him as “fiercely loyal, endlessly generous, and the kind of man who would give you the shirt off his back” in a heartbreaking statement.
“Our hearts are irrevocably broken by the loss of Steven, known affectionately to his mates as ‘Mattas’,” she said per The West Australian.
“The world has lost a truly one-of-a-kind gentleman, and our daughters have lost an incredible father far too soon.”
More to come