Close Menu
thewitness.com.au
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

Gus questions Walker selection

May 18, 2026

Benny Blanco explains why he avoids discussing intimate life with Selena Gomez

May 18, 2026

Mark Latham’s ex-partner denies insider trading tips from billionaire Richard White

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
thewitness.com.au
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
thewitness.com.au
Home»International News»New team to plan search for bodies of Italian divers lost in Maldives
International News

New team to plan search for bodies of Italian divers lost in Maldives

info@thewitness.com.auBy info@thewitness.com.auMay 18, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
New team to plan search for bodies of Italian divers lost in Maldives
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Threads Bluesky Copy Link


Mohamed Sharuhaan

May 18, 2026 — 3:50pm

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

Male, Maldives: Three Finnish divers have arrived to draw up a fresh plan in the search for the bodies of four Italian divers believed to be deep inside an underwater cave. The initial search was suspended after a local military diver died during a perilous mission to try to reach them.

A group of five Italian divers is believed to have died while exploring a cave at a depth of about 50 metres in Vaavu Atoll on Thursday, according to Italy’s Foreign Ministry. The recreational diving limit in the Maldives is 30 metres. The body of one of the divers was recovered last week.

From left: Gianluca Benedetti, Monica Montefalcone, Giorgia Sommacal, Muriel Oddenino and Federico Gualtieri died while diving in the Maldives.

Maldives presidential spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef said the search was suspended after Mohamed Mahudhee, a member of the Maldivian National Defence Force, died of underwater decompression sickness after being transferred to a hospital in the capital on Saturday.

Shareef said on Sunday that three Finnish divers, experts in deep and cave diving, had arrived in the archipelago nation and joined the Maldives coastguard in a meeting aimed at mapping a new search strategy.

Mahudhee was buried with military honours in a funeral attended by President Mohamed Muizzu on Saturday night. The diver was part of the group that had briefed Muizzu on the rescue plan when he visited the search site on Friday.

Maldivian President Mohamed Muizzu and National Defence Force members pray in front of the remains of military diver Mohamed Mahudhee, who died during the search operation.AP

Rough weather has repeatedly hampered rescue efforts.

Search operations on Saturday involved eight local divers who worked in shifts to locate the bodies, the Italian Foreign Ministry said. Initial teams had already dived to identify and mark the entrance to the cave system where the Italians disappeared. The cause of the deaths remains under investigation.

Italy’s Foreign Minister, Antonio Tajani, said everything possible would be done to bring the victims home. He offered his condolences for the death of the Maldivian diver during the rescue efforts.

The victims have been identified as Monica Montefalcone, an associate professor of ecology at the University of Genoa; her daughter, Giorgia Sommacal; marine biologist Federico Gualtieri; researcher Muriel Oddenino; and diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti.

Maldivian National Defence Force members carry Mahudhee’s remains.AP

Benedetti’s body was recovered on Thursday from near the mouth of the cave. Authorities believe the remaining four had entered the cave.

Montefalcone and Oddenino were in the Maldives on an official scientific mission to monitor marine environments and study the effects of climate change on tropical biodiversity, the University of Genoa said on Friday. However, the scuba diving activity during which the deadly accident occurred was not part of the planned research and was undertaken privately, it said.

The statement also said the two other victims — student Sommacal and recent graduate Gualtieri — were not involved in the scientific mission.

Carlo Sommacal, Montefalcone’s husband and Giorgia’s father, expressed doubts over the accident, saying “something must have happened down there” given his wife and daughter’s extensive experience.

In her element: Monica Montefalcone was an experienced diver.Greenpeace via AP

Speaking to Italian TV, he described Montefalcone as a careful and highly disciplined diver who would never put her daughter or other colleagues at risk.

The Italian tour operator that managed the diving trip denied authorising or knowing about the deep dive that violated local limits, its lawyer told Italian daily Corriere della Sera on Saturday.

Orietta Stella, representing Albatros Top Boat, said the operator did not know the group planned to descend beyond 30 metres. That threshold requires special permission from Maldivian maritime authorities and the tour operator “would have never allowed it,” she said.

The dive far exceeded what was planned for a scientific cruise focused on coral sampling at standard depths, Stella added. The victims were experienced divers, but the equipment used appeared to be standard recreational gear rather than technical equipment suited for deep cave diving, she said.

Cave diving is a highly technical and dangerous activity that requires specialised training, equipment and strict safety protocols. Risks increase sharply in environments where divers cannot head straight up and at depth, particularly when conditions are poor. Experts say it is easy to become disoriented or lost inside caves, particularly as sediment clouds can sharply reduce visibility.

Resuce divers preparing to search for the four missing Italian divers on Saturday.Maldives President’s Media Division via AP

Diving at 50 metres also exceeds the maximum depth recommended for recreational divers by most major established scuba certifying agencies, with depths beyond 40 metres considered technical diving and requiring specialised training and equipment.

The Italian Foreign Ministry said the cave is divided into three large chambers connected by narrow passages. Recovery teams explored two of the three chambers on Friday, but the search was limited due to considerations over oxygen and decompression.

Italian officials said about 20 other Italians on the same expedition aboard the vessel Duke of York were safe.

Related Article

The five people who died in a diving tragedy in the Maldies (from left to right): Gianluca Benedetti, Monica Montefalcone, Giorgia Sommacal, Muriel Oddenino and Federico Gualtieri died while diving in the Maldives.

The Maldives Tourism Ministry said it suspended the operating licence of the Duke of York pending an investigation.

AP


Get a note directly from our foreign
correspondents on what’s making headlines around the world. Sign up for our weekly What in the World newsletter.

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

From our partners

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest Bluesky Threads Tumblr Telegram Email
info@thewitness.com.au
  • Website

Related Posts

Gus questions Walker selection

May 18, 2026

Benny Blanco explains why he avoids discussing intimate life with Selena Gomez

May 18, 2026

Mark Latham’s ex-partner denies insider trading tips from billionaire Richard White

May 18, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 2025218 Views

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 2025152 Views

Wife of Australian Community Media boss responds to husband’s assault charges

March 15, 2026113 Views
Don't Miss

Gus questions Walker selection

By info@thewitness.com.auMay 18, 2026

Phil Gould admits he isn’t sure Maroons debutant Sam Walker’s free-flowing style will translate to…

Benny Blanco explains why he avoids discussing intimate life with Selena Gomez

May 18, 2026

Mark Latham’s ex-partner denies insider trading tips from billionaire Richard White

May 18, 2026

Gold Coast man Thomas Dunlea charged over viral dog abuse video

May 18, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
  • WhatsApp
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
Top Trending
Demo
Most Popular

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 2025218 Views

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 2025152 Views

Wife of Australian Community Media boss responds to husband’s assault charges

March 15, 2026113 Views
Our Picks

Gus questions Walker selection

May 18, 2026

Benny Blanco explains why he avoids discussing intimate life with Selena Gomez

May 18, 2026

Mark Latham’s ex-partner denies insider trading tips from billionaire Richard White

May 18, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
© 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.