Close Menu
thewitness.com.au
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

The ‘crazy car salesman’ brokering babies and holding embryos ‘hostage’

May 23, 2026

Shay Mitchell fears ‘wrinkles’ ahead of family’s plans for summer

May 23, 2026

Meet Albo, the high-vis, small-biz raider – and other deepfakes

May 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
thewitness.com.au
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Latest
  • National News
  • International News
  • Sports
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
thewitness.com.au
Home»Entertainment»David Burke iconic ‘Sherlock Holmes’ star breathed his last at 91
Entertainment

David Burke iconic ‘Sherlock Holmes’ star breathed his last at 91

info@thewitness.com.auBy info@thewitness.com.auMay 16, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
David Burke iconic ‘Sherlock Holmes’ star breathed his last at 91
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Threads Bluesky Copy Link


David Burke iconic ‘Sherlock Holmes’ star breathed his last at 91
David Burke iconic ‘Sherlock Holmes’ star breathed his last at 91

Acclaimed actor David Burke, known for his portrayal as Dr Watson in a Sherlock Holmes television adaptation, has died aged 91.

On Friday, his agent Scott Marshall Partners announced the actor had died on May 10, survived by wife Anna Calder-Marshall and son Tom Burke.

Burke, who trained at drama school Rada, went on to have a career spanning stage, television, and radio.

He starred in a theatrical production of King Lear at the National Theatre with Lord Of The Rings star Ian Holm, appeared on the television series Midsomer Murders and with Felicity Kendal in The Woodlanders.

In the 1980s television series The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, he starred as the detective’s sidekick Dr Watson opposite Jeremy Brett in the title role.

His son Tom is also an actor, known for roles in the BBC show The Musketeers and for his portrayal of Cormoran Strike in the series Strike.

Tom starred alongside Steve Coogan in Netflix show Legends which premiered on the streaming service earlier this month.

According to The Times newspaper, David declined to appear in a second series of The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes as he felt “terribly guilty” about leaving his wife and son when filming in Manchester.

Tom told the paper he felt “guilty” when he got older, thinking his father had “given up this brilliant opportunity” for him.

When he asked his father about it, David said, “It was my decision. I didn’t just want to work; I also wanted to be your dad. On top of that, I was getting bored of saying, ‘Good heavens, Holmes.’”



Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest Bluesky Threads Tumblr Telegram Email
info@thewitness.com.au
  • Website

Related Posts

The ‘crazy car salesman’ brokering babies and holding embryos ‘hostage’

May 23, 2026

Shay Mitchell fears ‘wrinkles’ ahead of family’s plans for summer

May 23, 2026

Meet Albo, the high-vis, small-biz raider – and other deepfakes

May 23, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top Posts

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 2025225 Views

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 2025153 Views

Wife of Australian Community Media boss responds to husband’s assault charges

March 15, 2026115 Views
Don't Miss

The ‘crazy car salesman’ brokering babies and holding embryos ‘hostage’

By info@thewitness.com.auMay 23, 2026

The new parents said they learnt of their son’s arrival from a photo of a…

Shay Mitchell fears ‘wrinkles’ ahead of family’s plans for summer

May 23, 2026

Meet Albo, the high-vis, small-biz raider – and other deepfakes

May 23, 2026

Australia's Caldwell kicks to victory

May 23, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
  • WhatsApp
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
Top Trending
Demo
Most Popular

Police believe ‘Penthouse Syndicate’ built Sydney property empire from defrauded millions

September 24, 2025225 Views

Inside the bitter fight for ownership of a popular sports website

October 23, 2025153 Views

Wife of Australian Community Media boss responds to husband’s assault charges

March 15, 2026115 Views
Our Picks

The ‘crazy car salesman’ brokering babies and holding embryos ‘hostage’

May 23, 2026

Shay Mitchell fears ‘wrinkles’ ahead of family’s plans for summer

May 23, 2026

Meet Albo, the high-vis, small-biz raider – and other deepfakes

May 23, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
© 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.